SCC_E_ACCESSFAILURE Errors

This forum is now locked, since Gold Support is no longer offered.

Moderator: SourceGear

ZackJones

SCC_E_ACCESSFAILURE Errors

Post by ZackJones » Mon Apr 24, 2006 5:20 am

Yesterday I was having some trouble accessing Vault through VS.Net 2003. I'm attaching a zip file with the IDE log from yesterday. If there's anything else I need to provide please let me know. Vault client and server at 3.1.8.
Attachments
Zack_ideReg.zip
Zip of log file.
(10.76 KiB) Downloaded 745 times

lbauer

Post by lbauer » Mon Apr 24, 2006 7:25 am

04/23/06 16:12:08 | Enter SccOpenProject(), pContext=97919584, lpUser=xxx, lpProjName=$/xxx, lpLocalProjPath=C:\Documents and Settings\xx.xxx\My Documents\Visual Studio Projects\xx, lpAuxProjPath=SCC_E_ACCESSFAILURE
Is there anything in the Vault Server log that corresponds to the time period of these errors? Had the server restarted, for instance? Any DB connection failures?
Linda Bauer
SourceGear
Technical Support Manager

ZackJones

Post by ZackJones » Mon Apr 24, 2006 12:53 pm

Hi Linda,

I just checked the 060423sgvault.log file on the server and it's a 1K file which only contains '# SourceGear Vault Server' so that's no help to us :(

Tonya

Post by Tonya » Mon Apr 24, 2006 1:41 pm

Zack,

If you don't mind, I have some additiona questions for you.

Are you the only user having probems accessing Vault using VS.2003?
What happens when you attempt to connect? Do you receive any type of error message?
Can you access Vault successfully using the GUI Client?

Thanks,

Tonya
SourceGear

ZackJones

Post by ZackJones » Tue Apr 25, 2006 7:01 am

Hi Tonya,
Tonya wrote: Are you the only user having probems accessing Vault using VS.2003?
Yes, currently I'm the only one working on this project at our location.
Tonya wrote: What happens when you attempt to connect? Do you receive any type of error message?

Well I start visual studio as a normally would and then open the project from the start page. Sometimes the project loads just fine, other times I'm prompted to enter username and password and sometimes I do see a dialog box informing me the project couldn't be bound and giving me an opiton to work disconnected. Next time I see the dialog box I'll make a screen capture for you. What I generally do is selelect the work disconnected option and close the dialog box. Usually this is followed by an "Unspecified Error" dialog box. I then close out of Visual Studio because I don't want to work disconnected and restart it. Usually when I restart Visual Studio all works well.
Tonya wrote: Can you access Vault successfully using the GUI Client?
Yes, first time every time. In fact I often keep the GUI Client open while working in Visual Studio. Since the GUI Client refreshes the file list periodically I know when I need to perform a get latest to keep my source current.

Tonya

Post by Tonya » Tue Apr 25, 2006 9:07 am

Thanks for the details.

It sounds like you are having problems with one specific project (if I'm wrong, please correct me). My suggestion is to clear out your working folder for this project and then re-open it from source control (File - Source Control - Open from Source Control).

You previously stated that you usually have the Vault GUI Client open while using VS.Net, do you use the GUI to perform any scc functionalities? If so, this could be what is creating the problem. When performing the "Get Latest" command, you will want to make sure this is done from within the IDE.

Please let me know if opening the project from source control helps.

Tonya

ZackJones

Post by ZackJones » Wed Apr 26, 2006 5:09 am

Tonya wrote: It sounds like you are having problems with one specific project (if I'm wrong, please correct me). My suggestion is to clear out your working folder for this project and then re-open it from source control (File - Source Control - Open from Source Control).
I read your post late yesterday afternoon and mis-read it. I went to my backup folder for the project and cleared it out, not the working folder. No biggie though that whole folder needed cleaning because I have vault put all of its backup files in one location. I didn't have any problems with the project yesterday and I was in and out of it a couple of times during the day. I will be working on it more today so I'll keep a close watch on things.
Tonya wrote: You previously stated that you usually have the Vault GUI Client open while using VS.Net, do you use the GUI to perform any scc functionalities?

No, I only use it for informational purposes. While working within VS.Net I often don't konw if a file is checked out until I try to check it out so I'll ALT-Tab over to the Vault client to see which developer has the file checked out. I also use it to see when a developer has checked in a file so that I'll know to a get latest. While VS.Net is open all scc functions are performed within VS.Net. If it is closed and I have the client open then I'll perform get latest, etc from within the client. Could that possible cause things to get out of synch?

If I see any errors today I'll get screen captures and will clear out the working folder and reopen from source control.

Tonya

Post by Tonya » Wed Apr 26, 2006 7:55 am

The fact that you only use the GUI Client for informational purposes while having the IDE open is good, there should be no problems there. As for the "get latest" command in the client, you won't want to perform this command on a project that doesn't already exist on your machine. If the project does already exist on your machine, performing the "get latest" command shouldn't create a problem that I know of. But as a test, try not to use any of the commands from within the GUI Client for the project that you are having problems with to see if the issues goes away after clearing your working folder.

Keep me posted as to what you find out later today.

Thanks!

ZackJones

Post by ZackJones » Wed Apr 26, 2006 2:15 pm

I was able to reproduce the error this afternoon. Here's how it happened. I had just finished working on a project that is also under Vault. When I finished my updates I closed that project using File -> Close Solution menu option in VS.Net 2003. I then clicked on the problem project "DmatsDE" as it is listed on the start page and I got the erorrs again. I made screen captures of the two error messages I see and will attach them to this post. I cleared out the entire development folder for the project and then opened the project from source control and after all files were downloaded I started working in the project. The first dialog I saw is called SG1 and the 2nd is SG2.
Attachments
sg1.png
Error Dialog
sg1.png (8.58 KiB) Viewed 9866 times
sg2.png
2nd error dialog
sg2.png (5.15 KiB) Viewed 9866 times

Tonya

Post by Tonya » Wed Apr 26, 2006 3:13 pm

After you cleared out your working folder and opened the project from source control, have you had any problems?

If not, try to refrain from using any scc functionalities from within the GUI Client to see if the problem persists. If the problem is still occurring or does start to occur, could you attach the MSSCCPRJ.SCC file for this project?

Thanks.

ZackJones

Post by ZackJones » Thu Apr 27, 2006 5:09 am

Tonya wrote:After you cleared out your working folder and opened the project from source control, have you had any problems?
So far everything is working fine. I will be doing a lot of work in that project today so if something messes up it'll probably happen today.
Tonya wrote: If not, try to refrain from using any scc functionalities from within the GUI Client to see if the problem persists. If the problem is still occurring or does start to occur, could you attach the MSSCCPRJ.SCC file for this project?
Oh, you're asking too much of me now, Tonya....just kidding :). I'll stay out of the client today unless I absolutely have to load it. The .SCC file contents are shown below with the IP address changed though.

SCC = This is a source code control file

[DmatsDE.sln]
SCC_Aux_Path = http://0.0.0.0/VaultService|Zack:26
SCC_Project_Name = $/DmatsDE

[DmatsDE.vbproj]
SCC_Aux_Path = http://0.0.0.0/VaultService|Zack:26
SCC_Project_Name = $/DmatsDE

Tonya

Post by Tonya » Thu Apr 27, 2006 8:44 am

So far everything is working fine. I will be doing a lot of work in that project today so if something messes up it'll probably happen today.
If you do have problems with the project today, try to observe any changes, etc. that occurred beforehand that may have caused the project to stop working correctly.

You don't have to stay completely out of the Vault GUI Client. I understand how nice it is to have the client open while you're working with the IDE (I often do this myself). Just try to refrain from performing any scc functionalities in the GUI Client for this project.

Thanks Zack! =)

ZackJones

Post by ZackJones » Thu Apr 27, 2006 2:33 pm

Tonya,

I have switched between a couple of different projects in 2003 today and so far no errors so hopefully clearing out the working folder and redownloading everything from source control did the trick.

Tonya

Post by Tonya » Thu Apr 27, 2006 2:36 pm

Well I am glad to hear that. Hopefully you won't start having issues again but please let me know if you do.

Tonya

ZackJones

Post by ZackJones » Mon May 01, 2006 4:36 am

All has been well in the last few days. I think we've solved this one :).
Thanks to all the sourcegear folks for providing the great products and support!