Why do my working folders change after I've manually set the

This forum is now locked, since Gold Support is no longer offered.

Moderator: SourceGear

mitch.wheat

Why do my working folders change after I've manually set the

Post by mitch.wheat » Wed Apr 26, 2006 12:51 am

I must be mssing something obvious: every time I manually set working folders, after attempting to re-create a solution from the vault (as if I were a new user getting an existing project for the first time), my working folders chnage. Grrrr!!!

dan

Post by dan » Wed Apr 26, 2006 6:34 am

If you do an Open From Source Control from within Visual Studio, it changes your working folders to be where you told Visual Studio to put the files. So, be aware that there is an implied Set Working Folder that is part of the Open From Source Control operation.

mitch.wheat

Post by mitch.wheat » Sun Apr 30, 2006 8:18 pm

Hi Dan

What is the recommended way of working with web projects with VS2003?

1) Creating new projects (I presume the 'create blank solution' method used with VSS, still applies?)

2) Getting existing projects from SGV for the first time?

I took your advice and instead of opening from VS I went to the SGV client and did a Get Latest, but the folders ending up different (deeper) than I had set the working folders manually in the SGV client. I don't get it?

Is there a best practice document available?

Regards,
Mitch

dan

Post by dan » Mon May 01, 2006 8:50 am

Yes, Create Blank Solution or Create New Project works best for adding new.

The "right" way to get set up on a new machine is to first do an "Open From Source Control" from the IDE, which will set up working folders the way Visual Studio wants them. After that, a Get Latest from the IDE or from the GUI client will work to get new files and projects.

Note that the restrictions on where projects (and working folders) reside are imposed by Visual Studio. If you only ever use the Vault client for source control operations, you can put your folders anywhere you want.

Here is an MS article on VS project structure that may be helpful: http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/defau ... lg_ch3.asp