Vault vs. VSS 2005

If you are having a problem using Vault, post a message here.

Moderator: SourceGear

AGBrown

Vault vs. VSS 2005

Post by AGBrown » Tue May 02, 2006 11:14 am

Our original decisions for going with Vault over VSS were obvious; fast internet-based operation was essential given that we are a development team who all work from home and are based all over the UK.

Now that VSS 2005 has been released I have to reassess Vault vs. other options (in particular VSS 2005) before we expand our team in the near future (possibly even bringing in developers from outside the UK).

Can anyone tell me if there are any comparisons of Vault and VSS 2005 around, or even just provide an initial comparison here? I'm guessing that Vault is still the better option, but I need to be able to categorically state the reasons why.

Andy
Andy Brown
<a href="http://www.k2nenergy.com/index.htm" title="See how K2n can reduce your energy consumption and costs">K2n: Energy Monitoring Solutions</a>

lbauer

Post by lbauer » Tue May 02, 2006 11:25 am

We haven't done any testing to compare VSS 2005 to Vault (we've been busy adding new features to Vault).

Feed back from users has been that VSS 2005 is slow, hard to set up and doesn't provide access to all the operations and features that users would like.
Last edited by lbauer on Tue May 02, 2006 3:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Linda Bauer
SourceGear
Technical Support Manager

AGBrown

Post by AGBrown » Tue May 02, 2006 11:34 am

That was along the lines I was hoping for, thank you!
Andy Brown
<a href="http://www.k2nenergy.com/index.htm" title="See how K2n can reduce your energy consumption and costs">K2n: Energy Monitoring Solutions</a>

ZackJones

Post by ZackJones » Wed May 03, 2006 8:44 am

Andy,

I don't know if it'll help you any but our development team has developers located in Georgia, Florida, Colorado, and California and we are all using Vault with VS.Net 2005 with great success. In fact I think Vault in 2005 works better than it does in 2003.

The developers located outside of Georgia have not reported any performance issues with using Vault over long distances.