Using Vault from multiple machines

If you are having a problem using Vault, post a message here.

Moderator: SourceGear

goedelman

Using Vault from multiple machines

Post by goedelman » Fri May 05, 2006 7:55 am

Hello All,

My company recently moved to SourceGear's Vault for source control. We are thrilled with the product. However, I have one question...Is there an option that we can set so if I check a file out on one machine and am on another machine it will show said file as checked out to me but from a different location and disable me from editing or checking it in. I want to say that Microsoft's VSS had this feature. Currently, we have a few employees that travel and work from different machines at different times and do not want to tie all of our extra licenses up as we are growing at this time. Any help is appreciated.

Thanks,

Kenneth Goedelman
Global Software Services

dan

Post by dan » Fri May 05, 2006 8:54 am

If you set the option to Require Checkout before Checkin, then checking it out on one machine will not allow you check it in from a different machine. It will still show up as checked out to you on the second machine, but it won't allow you to check it in unless you check it out from that machine.

You can add checkout location to the file list from the File Columns option as well, to see where the file is checked out to.

Note that the same user can have the file checkout out multiple times to different machines as well.

GregM

Post by GregM » Fri May 05, 2006 6:36 pm

One difference between VSS and Vault in this regard is that the machine name is shown *after* the checkout path, where VSS showed the machine name *before* the checkout path if it was checked out on a different machine. This may not be immediately noticeable since the default column width is often too narrow to show the machine name.