Unable to install 3.1.8 Admin Tool

This forum is now locked, since Gold Support is no longer offered.

Moderator: SourceGear

jschuit

Unable to install 3.1.8 Admin Tool

Post by jschuit » Wed May 10, 2006 7:49 am

Sorry if this is a repeat, I couldn't find any other postings like this.

I updated our Vault server from 3.1.5 to 3.1.8 last night. When it tried to install the Admin tool I got an error that "the feature you are trying to use is on a network resource that is unavailable". I thought this was odd, the msi is on the local hard drive. I try installing the admin tool on a workstation, same error. I downloaded the admin tool install from your website and try to install that, same error... Any clue what could have happened?

btw, I did try to fool it by copying the VaultAdmin_3_1_8.msi to VaultAdmin[1].msi but then I got another error that it was "not a valid installation package for the product..."
Attachments
VaultAdminInstallError.JPG
VaultAdminInstallError.JPG (17.7 KiB) Viewed 10528 times

dan

Post by dan » Wed May 10, 2006 8:00 am

When you installed the admin tool previously, did you use the separate Admin Tool installer, and are now try to install it with the server installer? This would likely cause problems, although I'm not sure whether it would show up in the errors you are seeing.

jschuit

Post by jschuit » Wed May 10, 2006 8:10 am

Dan. previously I had always installed the AdminTool as part of the server install on the server machine...and from the VaultService webpage on the workstations. When that MSI gave me problems with this install, I tried the separate AdminTool installer for the first time(after having uninstalled).

mskrobul

Post by mskrobul » Wed May 10, 2006 8:57 am

I don't think we have had any reports of that particular error before. It seems that error usually occurs if you are installing over a network and you lose the connection.

You said the .msi is on the destination machine, but are you using VNC or Terminal Server or anything similar to do the install on that machine?

Does the machine's System account have full priveledges on the directory where the .msi is located and to the temp directories on that machine (%temp% and %windir%\temp)? That can cause problems in some cases.

What OS are you installing on?
Mary Jo Skrobul
SourceGear

jschuit

Post by jschuit » Wed May 10, 2006 9:05 am

While installing (updating) the Vault server I was using Remote Desktop to the w2003 server machine. While installing on the workstation I was locally at the machine which has WXPsp2.

mskrobul

Post by mskrobul » Wed May 10, 2006 9:18 am

Did you verify that the SYSTEM account had permissions on the .msi folder and temp folders? At what point during the admin tool install do you get the error? Is it right at the beginning or later?
Mary Jo Skrobul
SourceGear

jschuit

Post by jschuit » Wed May 10, 2006 11:05 am

Hhmmm... Forgive me, I'm not sure how I can verify this. I was logged into both systems with a user that has admin rights.

mskrobul

Post by mskrobul » Wed May 10, 2006 11:49 am

You can check the permissions by viewing the properties on the folders, then select the security tab and make sure SYSTEM is listed there and Full Control is checked in the permissions section.
Mary Jo Skrobul
SourceGear

jschuit

Post by jschuit » Wed May 10, 2006 11:58 am

Yes, SYSTEM is listed in both places and has Full Control.

I was able to work around this issue by creating a new local user (was a domain user before) with admin rights and then logging in with that account to install the AdminTool. I'll fire off a question to the IT dept to see if they have fudged around with my user settings since the last install. :evil:

Thanks.

jschuit

Post by jschuit » Sat May 13, 2006 4:07 pm

Our IT dept is claiming ignorance. Here is an event log from an attempted install on the server machine itself. Unfortunately I don't have direct access to this box, so I have to play in the world IT allows me.

Detection of product '{F2A267E3-EFA7-4272-A06B-25842E27AC99}', feature 'Admin_Tool' failed during request for component '{53C6FA97-E48F-463E-8CE1-A6D88D58EE4E}'

mskrobul

Post by mskrobul » Mon May 15, 2006 9:45 am

Is the admin tool installed and working right now?

53C6FA97-E48F-463E-8CE1-A6D88D58EE4E is the component ID for the admin tool .exe. I am not sure why the installer wasn't able to find this component. It sounds like when you logged in with a user with more permissions it worked???
Mary Jo Skrobul
SourceGear

jschuit

Post by jschuit » Mon May 15, 2006 9:53 am

Hhmmm, sorry... rereading that last post does make it a little confusing. I was trying to install the Admin Tool on two different machines. I was able to install the Tool on my workstation by logging in as a local user. The event log I posted previously is from my attempts to install the Tool on the Vault server machine. I am still unable to perform this install.

The user account I've been using is my domain user which has admin rights to both machines. (the local user I created on my workstation also had admin rights)

mskrobul

Post by mskrobul » Mon May 15, 2006 10:38 am

You could try enabling .msi logging on the server machine and see if you get any more information from the .msi log file.

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=223300

Is remote desktop on the server machine configured to allow you to install? Can you install other applications on that machine using remote desktop?

It is probably some sort of permissions problem (since you had the same error on your machine and it was resolved in that way) or configuration problem.

Was the admin tool previously installed with the server on that machine? The admin tool does get installed with the server by default unless you unselect it. If the admin tool already exists on that machine because it was installed with the server, it may not be allowing the install (but you usually get a different error in that case).

Can you have someone try to install the admin tool from the server machine itself (instead of using remote desktop)?
Mary Jo Skrobul
SourceGear