VS2005 Deleted file still appear

If you are having a problem using Vault, post a message here.

Moderator: SourceGear

dsevigny

VS2005 Deleted file still appear

Post by dsevigny » Fri May 12, 2006 1:29 pm

Hi,

My problem is when I delete a file from VS2005 project, Vault delete this one on the server and it's OK. When another developer do a "Get Latest Version", the deleted file still appear but with "plus sign" icon. It seem that the Vault is not able to delete the file locally so he consider this one like a new file.

How correct this?

Thanks
Dominic

dan

Post by dan » Mon May 15, 2006 12:51 pm

I was able to reproduce this, but it seems to only happen when the Get Latest is done after the file is deleted but before the project file is checked in.

Note that deleting a file in Visual Studio 2005 is a two step process - deleting the file will immediately delete it in source control, but it also checks out and edits the project file (to remove that file from the list of files in the project). However, Visual Studio does not automatically check the project file back - you have to do that manually after the file is deleted.

After you checkin the project file, doing a Get Latest on the 2nd user's machine should take away the plus sign and no longer want to add the file.

dsevigny

VS2005 don't have a project file!

Post by dsevigny » Mon May 15, 2006 4:59 pm

Hi,

Thanks for your reply. I understand all that you said but your response is correct if I use a project file, that is not the case with VS2005 default Web project. The new web application model don't have this project file to maintain the hierarchy of all files within the web project. This concern is normal in the vault because this one can't know which file was removed. I wondered whether there were a way to do this thing without this concern.

I never had this problem with VS2003 but the project files was been changed with vs2005.

Thanks
Dominic

dan

Post by dan » Tue May 16, 2006 10:37 am

Yes, this does appear to be a problem with Web Projects. We'll take a look, but I'm not sure how much we will be able to do about it. It looks like Visual Studio automatically adds files that exist in the web folder as pending additions.

dsevigny

If you have a solution?

Post by dsevigny » Fri May 19, 2006 10:00 am

Hi,

If you have solution, please share with me because it's a very big problem within our team project. When each developer delete a file, all other checkin made from other developer redo a checkin of non desired file. The structure of our project is not clean.

Thanks
Dominic

dan

Post by dan » Fri May 19, 2006 1:29 pm

The only workaround we can provide right now is to do a Get Latest from the GUI client, which has the feature where it removes files locally that have been deleted from the repository, or just manually removing the files locally will work too.

We'll see if there is a way to do this with the Vault IDE client, and if so, try to get a fix out in the next release.

dsevigny

Workaround don't work!

Post by dsevigny » Fri May 19, 2006 1:51 pm

Hi,

Thanks for your workaround trick but this one does not work. This is the same problem like VS2005. It seem that the problem is really that the source control don't have a project file to maintain the files structure. The Get Latest Version with Vault GUI produce the same result. For now, I must send an email to each developer with the list of each deleted files to ensure that theses files will be not checkin again.

Am I the only one to have this problem? Strange?

Thanks
Dominic

mandelid

This can't be right?

Post by mandelid » Tue May 23, 2006 3:29 am

We are having the same problem, and because of it are looking for another sourcecontrol software.

We really like Sourcegear, but this limitation is just too big. We are using "Web sites" in Visual Studio 2005, and are plagued by old deleted files reappearing all the time.

It can't be right that there are no plans to fix this error. This is definetly an error if you claim to support Visual Studio 2005... and a workaround is not a solution.

I'm sorry if I sound angry, but I am a little pissed of because this has cost us alot of time (ie. money). As I said we (the developers) really like Sourcegear and its integration with Visual Studio so I hope this issue will be taken seriously.

dsevigny

Me too!!!

Post by dsevigny » Tue May 23, 2006 6:37 am

Hi,

It's the same thing for us. We like SourceGear product since 3 years but now we look for other solution. I have found it. Team foundation server does not have this problem. But you must install SQL2005, Sharepoint, Team Foundation on the same machine with a minimum of 2Ghz and 1G of RAM. The license ar expensive but the builtin source control is a dream !!! I'll waiting SourceGear feedback but if it's too long, I'll go with TFS.

Thanks
Dominic

dan

Post by dan » Tue May 23, 2006 7:54 am

Note that I had mentioned in the previous note that we would be looking for solutions from within the IDE, and would put the fix in the next release if we found one.

The good news is that we have identified a workaround, and it is currently being tested. This will definitely make it into 3.5, which we hope will be released in June.

I apologize for the frustration this is causing everyone. MS made a lot of changes between VS 2003 and VS 2005, and it just takes awhile to work out all the kinks, and identify where the problems are, and where workarounds can be applied.

dan

Post by dan » Mon Jun 05, 2006 3:12 pm

To follow up on this note: We just release Vault 3.1.9 today that addresses the problem of files being automatically added back to web projects after a Get. Note that you have to do a Get Latest Recursive on the project (Gets on individual files will not trigger the fix).

mandelid

Seems to work

Post by mandelid » Tue Jun 06, 2006 7:19 am

The new release seems to work. The file is still marked as new after GetLatest, but after a Refresh Folder in Visual Studio the files are gone.

Good enough for us :-)

Thanks alot for taking this issue seriously.