Changelog

If you are having a problem using Vault, post a message here.

Moderator: SourceGear

toddg

Changelog

Post by toddg » Thu May 18, 2006 6:39 am

Is there any way to produce a web based changelong between two points (e.g. labels or dates)? Here is a great example of what I am trying to achieve: http://www.bugzilla.org/status/changes.html. I'm pretty sure this page is manually created, but the targets that the links point to are not.

dan

Post by dan » Thu May 18, 2006 8:53 am

We don't have anything quite like the page you reference. We do have a basic web client that allows you to browse the tree and see recent checkins, but there is no query capability there.

You can do a Show History from our regular client and see history between two points in time (and in the next release, be able to specify two labels to get history between), and then output those to an HTML file as a report.

toddg

Post by toddg » Thu May 18, 2006 8:58 am

I was hoping for something that I could show to a manager / executive level person. I didn't want to go and install the client for them (or train them on it for that matter). Is there a way to generate the HTML export in an automated fashion?

The real hope here to to have some sort of visual metric on overall development activity. Any other possibilities for something like this?

jeremy_sg

Post by jeremy_sg » Thu May 18, 2006 9:48 am

Todd,

Take a look at this link:

http://vaultpub.sourcegear.com/VaultSer ... =2&days=60

(use guest:guest to log in)

Admittedly, it doesn't let you specify the portion of the repository to query or the ability to specify labels as the start or end point, but this could get you close enough for now, by changing the days parameter in the URL to change the start date of the query.

Another option is to use an xslt transformation to transform the xml output of the CLC's history query. You can put the xml output into a file with:

Code: Select all

C:\Program Files\SourceGear\Vault Client>.\vault.exe -user blah -password blah -host localhost -repository "vault tree" history $/trunk/utils/VCPatch > tmp
and then use an xslt tool to transform it. A good place to start from is: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/XSLT

mlippert

Post by mlippert » Thu May 18, 2006 12:20 pm

Reading this brought some additional feature requests to mind :wink:

1st, when I read Dan's reply, I hadn't realized that I could save Show History results as an html file. That's nice, but you can't save Show History results at all if you are showing changeset (version) history, which is the history view that usually most interests me. (As a secondary request, it would be nice to have those 2 history view UI's made similar, I sort of prefer the buttons on the side, but maybe both the buttons and the menu would be good).

2nd, when I initially read (misread) the 1st post, I thought he was asking for a variation on Show Blame, which actually I'd really like. Right now Show Blame always starts from the latest version of a file. I'd like to be able to change that so that it starts (or ends depending on your point of view) at a specified version of the file. This would really help in ignoring someone's changes that were largely cosmetic (spaces changed to tabs for instance).

To sum up:
  1. Save changeset history results to a file
  2. Show blame starting at a particular version
Mike

jeremy_sg

Post by jeremy_sg » Thu May 18, 2006 12:59 pm

Mike,

For your second request, you can edit the Show Blame URL to change the version parameter.

mlippert

Post by mlippert » Thu May 18, 2006 1:51 pm

Jeremy,
Thanks, I hadn't noticed that argument. OK then I've only got the 1 feature request :D

Mike