What will Get Latest do?

If you are having a problem using Vault, post a message here.

Moderator: SourceGear

RobSchripsema

What will Get Latest do?

Post by RobSchripsema » Mon May 22, 2006 12:04 pm

There may be multiple ways to do this -- or maybe not.

We do a fair amount of code sharing by sharing modules/folders between projects.

When I open up an existing project from VS 2005, I'll want to get the latest code from any shared modules/folders that has been change. However, I'd like to see just what I'm going to get BEFORE I ACTUALLY GET IT.

In other words, how do I see what Get Latest Version will do BEFORE I actually execute it? I don't need to see specific changes in any files; I just want to see which files will be retrieved to my current project.

Suggestions? Directions?

Thanks in advance!

Rob Schripsema
DeWaard and Jones Company

lbauer

Post by lbauer » Mon May 22, 2006 2:26 pm

If you're just using it for reference, you could log in with the Vault GUI Client and take a look at the folder tree and folder contents. All your source control operations should be done with Visual Studio, though, so as not to confuse things.
Linda Bauer
SourceGear
Technical Support Manager

RobSchripsema

Post by RobSchripsema » Tue May 23, 2006 9:32 am

Linda, thanks for the reply. We can do that (and have been). But often, our projects have 10-15 sub folders, and maybe one or two files in one or two of the sub-folders may have changed -- we'd like to get a quick summary across the entire project folder (recursing into the sub-folders) of what will be retrieved with a GetLatest.

I think what you're saying is that there's no way to do that ... right? Any chance of getting that on the "Requested Features" list?

Thanks!

Rob

lbauer

Post by lbauer » Tue May 23, 2006 9:49 am

You can do a recursive folder diff on the parent folder from the GUI Client, and set the option in SG DiffMerge to Hide Identical Files. This will give you a quick way to see what has changed.

There's no way to do a folder diff from VS 2005; I'll add this as a feature request.
Linda Bauer
SourceGear
Technical Support Manager

dan

Post by dan » Tue May 23, 2006 9:58 am

Rob,

We are working on a next-generation IDE client for Vault that will give us more control over what we are able to present to the user. We'll definitely give this a look for that.

Unfortunatly, as Linda says, there isn't a way to do this from within the IDE right now. Probably the easiest way to get this is from the Status Search pane in the main Vault GUI client, which allows you to see the states of all files under a certain folder in Vault in a flat list, and also allows you to view differences before you Get them.