Get - Differences between command line and GUI Client

If you are having a problem using Vault, post a message here.

Moderator: SourceGear

qss

Get - Differences between command line and GUI Client

Post by qss » Wed May 24, 2006 4:17 pm

I have a build machine that uses the command line to do the get, checkout and checkin commands for vault.

The problem - When I do the 'command line' GET with -overwrite it doesn't overwrite the files. Files that were different versions change from the local file being 'OLD' to 'Needs merge'? If I use the Vault GUI and do a 'get latest version' - it overwrites the files just fine. I also see alot of 'Renegade' local files after doing a 'GET' with the command line - these also should be overwritten.

I'm on 3.1.8(3771) of the gui and command line.

lbauer

Post by lbauer » Wed May 24, 2006 8:53 pm

Are you using the same user account for the GUI Client and the Command Line Client? File state information is kept per user, so the folder state may look different from user to user. Renegade means the file in the working folder has been modified, but is not checked out. This can happen if you get using one account but log in to the GUI client as a different user, but using the same working folder.
Linda Bauer
SourceGear
Technical Support Manager

qss

Post by qss » Wed May 31, 2006 1:37 pm

The users for the GUI and the command line are the same.

Focusing on the 'Get':

If I do a 'get' latest version with this command line statement -
C:\Documents and Settings\wsadmin.QSS>"C:\Program Files\SourceGear\Vault Client\

vault.exe" -host 192.168.192.9 -user wsadmin -repository "Oasis Development" get
"$/Trunk (Development 0.0.0)/Source Code/QSSBDE" -makewritable -setfiletime mod
ification -merge overwrite -destpath "C:\QSS Build Area\Development 0.0.0\Source
Code\QSSBDE" -commit
<vault>
<result success="yes" />
</vault>

Some of the Local files change to 'Need merge' from 'Old' - still showing the old version number. I would think using the 'overwrite' option it would do just that - overwrite the local file.

If I then do a 'Get latest Version' overwriting with the 'vault GUI client' all local files change to equal the ones in the repository.

dan

Post by dan » Wed May 31, 2006 1:52 pm

The problem is probably the -destpath argument. This specifies a non working folder to get the files to, and does not update the file state. If you already have a working folder defined, you don't need to specify where the files should go - it will put them in the working folder automatically.

Also, the -commit option doesn't apply to Get, so you should remove it in case it has an bad side effects.

qss

Post by qss » Wed May 31, 2006 2:12 pm

Dan you are correct. I removed the destpath and it started working correctly. I'm sure I have the correct destpath though since I use it other places in the script.

Thanks again -

This REALLY helps me out.