VB6 gets an error when starting Vault

If you are having a problem using Vault, post a message here.

Moderator: SourceGear

qss

VB6 gets an error when starting Vault

Post by qss » Fri Jun 02, 2006 3:49 pm

I have about 8 machines that all work with Vault and VB6.

The problem is I have one problem machine that when I try to 'create project from SourceGear Vault' or click on a vbp on the harddrive VB6 gets a fault and won't load the 'vaultide.dll'.

I've tried reinstalling vb6 and vault. Checked the vbaddin.ini to make sure 'vbscc=3'. In the Vault gui it's set to make vault the default scc. I've disabled the firewall and virus scanning.

It just seems that VB6 for this one machine doesn't want to play with Vault.

Any suggestions.

lbauer

Post by lbauer » Sun Jun 04, 2006 3:08 pm

Some thoughts --

--What's different about this particular machine? How does it compare to the machines where VB works? Is the version of VB and Service Pack the same as on the other machines? Is it the same version of Vault on all machines?

--If you have a copy of VSS, you might see if VB on that machine works with VSS. This would help us determine if the problem is specific to Vault or to IDE integration in general.

--Check the registry to make sure the vaultIDE.dll is properly registered:
1. Open regedit

2. Go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\SourceCodeControlProvider\ProviderRegKey and make sure the value is SOFTWARE\SourceGear\Vault Client

3. Go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\SourceGear\Vault Client\SCCServerPath and make sure the value is C:\Program Files\SourceGear\Vault Client\VaultIDE.dll (or wherever you installed the Vault program).
Linda Bauer
SourceGear
Technical Support Manager

qss

Post by qss » Mon Jun 05, 2006 1:02 pm

1) The main difference - this machine is a laptop vs. the other machines which are desktops. Same version of vb and service pack. Same version of vault.

2) All the machines including this one were running VSS which we have de-installed.

3) The Registry entries are correct and point to the vaultide.dll file.

Anything else I can check.

OrovilleTim

Post by OrovilleTim » Wed Jun 07, 2006 11:41 am

Working with the developer in question, I performed a variety of steps including removing all VB6 and VisualStudio 6 related programs, directories, and registry entries, then reinstalling everything after a reboot.

He still gets the same problem. It is VB6.EXE throwing an exception when you try and perform any Vault operations. I verified all is well with his account and projects by logging in as him on my machine, checking out and checking in his projects.

I did enable Dr. Watson on his machine and collected the fault log, and also have the XML file that normally gets sent to Microsoft on an app err that includes all the relevant DLLs and version information. They are attached as xmlfile.txt and faultlog.txt. I converted both to regular text as the original ones were unicode. I also edited some personal information out of the fault log under machine info for security reasons.

Thanks,
Tim
Attachments
xmlfile.txt
XML File normally sent to MS on application error.
(37.24 KiB) Downloaded 755 times
faultlog.txt
Dr. Watson log for VB6.EXE and VaultIDE.dll fault.
(38.92 KiB) Downloaded 746 times

OrovilleTim

Post by OrovilleTim » Thu Jun 08, 2006 2:54 pm

Any update on this?

Terence

Post by Terence » Thu Jun 08, 2006 3:05 pm

Could you try one more test for us please. If you uninstall Vault, and install VSS. Does version control work with VB6 and VSS on this machine?

OrovilleTim

Post by OrovilleTim » Fri Jun 09, 2006 9:58 am

Terence wrote:Could you try one more test for us please. If you uninstall Vault, and install VSS. Does version control work with VB6 and VSS on this machine?
Uninstalled Vault, reinstalled VSS, and he was able to use it (Visual Source Safe) without any issues.

Tim

OrovilleTim

Post by OrovilleTim » Fri Jun 09, 2006 11:09 am

I had him reinstall Vault, after reinstalling and verifying operation of VSS, and it still exhibits the exact same behavior (exception.)

lbauer

Post by lbauer » Fri Jun 09, 2006 11:29 am

Not much to go on here.

What version of Vault are you using?

What operating system is on the machine? Is the machine or OS 64-bit?

When you tried Vault again, was VSS still on the machine? We've had cases where VB 6 integration didn't work unless the VSS client was also installed. VSS may provide something needed for the integration on certain machines.

Anything in the event viewer that corresponds to the crash?

Enable client-side logging -- perhaps we'll get some useful information.

See this KB article:

http://support.sourcegear.com/viewtopic.php?t=1534

Use the instructions for VB 6 logging.
Linda Bauer
SourceGear

Terence

Post by Terence » Fri Jun 09, 2006 12:50 pm

Is it possible for you to attach images of the error messages?

Also, I noticed earlier that you couldn't open projects from source control. If you started over with an empty project, and you add that project to source control? And if so, does it still crash when you go to retrieve it?

OrovilleTim

Post by OrovilleTim » Fri Jun 09, 2006 12:55 pm

lbauer wrote:Not much to go on here.
The vault version is 3.1.8. It is Windows XP Professional, 32bit. No logs are generated as it receives the fatal exception as it tries to launch.

The Dr. Watson error didn't provide any insight into the function that was causing the fault in the vault ide DLL? (The Dr. Watson log also provided the system architectured of x86 too... here is good link on reading them: http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/191218.htm)

Also, the xml file contained the version information the DLLs that were associated with VB and Vault:

Code: Select all

<EXE NAME="VaultIDE.dll" FILTER="GRABMI_FILTER_THISFILEONLY">
    <MATCHING_FILE NAME="VaultIDE.dll" SIZE="258048" CHECKSUM="0xD73D2889" BIN_FILE_VERSION="3.1.8.3771" BIN_PRODUCT_VERSION="3.1.8.3771" PRODUCT_VERSION="3.1.8.3771" FILE_DESCRIPTION="SourceGear Vault SCC Provider" COMPANY_NAME="SourceGear Corporation" PRODUCT_NAME="SourceGear Vault SCC Provider " FILE_VERSION="3.1.8.3771" ORIGINAL_FILENAME="VaultIDE.dll" INTERNAL_NAME="VaultIDE.dll" LEGAL_COPYRIGHT="Copyright © 2003-2006 SourceGear Corporation.  All Rights Reserved." VERFILEDATEHI="0x0" VERFILEDATELO="0x0" VERFILEOS="0x4" VERFILETYPE="0x2" MODULE_TYPE="WIN32" PE_CHECKSUM="0x0" LINKER_VERSION="0x0" UPTO_BIN_FILE_VERSION="3.1.8.3771" UPTO_BIN_PRODUCT_VERSION="3.1.8.3771" LINK_DATE="03/06/2006 23:39:32" UPTO_LINK_DATE="03/06/2006 23:39:32" VER_LANGUAGE="English (United States) [0x409]" />
</EXE>

OrovilleTim

Post by OrovilleTim » Fri Jun 09, 2006 1:01 pm

Terence wrote:Is it possible for you to attach images of the error messages?

Also, I noticed earlier that you couldn't open projects from source control. If you started over with an empty project, and you add that project to source control? And if so, does it still crash when you go to retrieve it?
The error messages are system generated fatal exceptions. Without the Dr. Watson enabled, they are the standard "the program vb6.exe had generated an exception and will be terminated, do you want to send this to Microsoft?" stuff. The XML file is the file that would be submitted to Microsoft.

After enabling Dr. Watson, you get the same message, with the "a log file is being generated." Any information from the error messages is included in the Dr. Watson log. See the above post for an excellent link on reading a Dr. Watson log.

I can have him try the steps you mentioned. I know his account and the project in question are fine though as I can log in to Vault on my machine as him and operate fine under his account, doing all necessary procedures.

OrovilleTim

Post by OrovilleTim » Wed Jun 14, 2006 3:04 pm

Any update after the last information? This developer is severly affected by this situation.

Is it possible to get the debug symbols for the client? I could then have him create another exception and provide another Dr. Watson report with more detailed information on the fault.

Thanks,
Tim

lbauer

Post by lbauer » Wed Jun 14, 2006 3:44 pm

The Dr. Watson log shows that the Vault IDE is causing the exception, but it doesn't help us to determine why.

Is there anything useful in the client machine's Event Viewer that corresponds to the crash?

Since this is specific to the developer's machine, we need to look more closely at the machine configuration.

Does the Vault GUI Client work on this machine? Can you do normal operations?

What version of the .NET Framework is installed? Have you tried reinstalling the .NET Framework? Although VB 6 doesn't use it, the Vault Client/IDE Client does.
Linda Bauer
SourceGear

OrovilleTim

Post by OrovilleTim » Wed Jun 14, 2006 8:43 pm

Well, here's a good early on troubleshooting step that could have saved a lot of frustration:

Visit update.microsoft.com and install all available .NET packages.

After I asked him to do that, he reported successful operation of Vault.

Tim