Vault GUI hangs

This forum is now locked, since Gold Support is no longer offered.

Moderator: SourceGear

tafountain

Vault GUI hangs

Post by tafountain » Mon Jun 12, 2006 9:01 am

We have had several performance issues these past few weeks while we introduced Vault into our organization. All of them we have been successful in resolving. However, we have one intermittent issue now that I need your assistance in resolving. Several individuals, including myself, are experiencing the Vault desktop client hanging. The symptoms we are seeing is the Vault client will display "Retrieving repository information..." or something along those lines. When this happens, I see no database activity. If the user terminates the application via the Task Manager and restarts it, the same problem occurs. We have to log off Windows and log back on before we can connect to the Vault repositories.

The client version is 3.1.8 (3771)

The server info is:
Server runs on PIII Dual Processer, 2.6 GB memory.
IIS and database are on the same box, IIS6 and SQL 2000 SP3.
Server is on same network as users.

Please advise on how to diagnose. Our server log is set to quiet and is not displaying any errors.

lbauer

Post by lbauer » Mon Jun 12, 2006 11:50 am

This could be network problem, if the clients aren't hitting the Vault server.

When does the hang happen -- when a user logs in? When they do a particular operation? Randomly?

Do all users experience the hang at the same time? Or does one user experience a hang when other users are able to connect with no problem?

Are there firewalls, proxies, anti-virus apps that could be interfering with the connections?

We'd like to see client and server logs. Put Vault Server logging into debug mode (Vault Admin Tool->Server Options->Logging)

To enable client-side logging in the GUI Client for Vault 3.1.8, open the Vault GUI Client and hold down the following keys on your keyboard:

Control Alt Shift F12

The log will be in your user's Temp directory %temp%.

After you've experienced the hangs, send me a copy of the logs and let me know the time in the log the hang occurred, and the user(s) who experienced the hangs.
Linda Bauer
SourceGear
Technical Support Manager

tafountain

Post by tafountain » Mon Jun 12, 2006 12:28 pm

This could be network problem, if the clients aren't hitting the Vault server.
I haven't verified if the server is getting hit or not (at least the web server). As far as I know, the database may have already been hit before I was able to check the connections.

When does the hang happen -- when a user logs in? When they do a particular operation? Randomly?
When they login. It does appear random.

Do all users experience the hang at the same time? Or does one user experience a hang when other users are able to connect with no problem?
One user experiences the hang and other users are able to connect w/o a problem.

Are there firewalls, proxies, anti-virus apps that could be interfering with the connections?
Our organization is very tight with security, however, our hardware firewalls and proxies should not be a consideration here since all traffic is internal. But all of our developers desktops are XP Pro (SP2 I believe) and they do run Windows Firewall. Also, every machine in our organization runs McAfee. However, these do not change between the time we are able to connect without a problem and when the problem occurs.

We'd like to see client and server logs. Put Vault Server logging into debug mode (Vault Admin Tool->Server Options->Logging)

To enable client-side logging in the GUI Client for Vault 3.1.8, open the Vault GUI Client and hold down the following keys on your keyboard:

Control Alt Shift F12

The log will be in your user's Temp directory %temp%.

After you've experienced the hangs, send me a copy of the logs and let me know the time in the log the hang occurred, and the user(s) who experienced the hangs.
I will set this up and post that information here or email it to you when it occurs again.

Thanks!

GregM

Post by GregM » Mon Jun 12, 2006 3:01 pm

Sounds like it could be the check that contacts the sourcegear webserver to find out if the client is the latest version.

lbauer

Post by lbauer » Mon Jun 12, 2006 3:11 pm

Thanks for the suggestion, Greg. It could be something simple like that. We have had a few reports of problems from the version check.

Tafountain -- if users disable the version check, do they still have login problems?

The setting is in the Vault GUI Client under Tools->Options->General->Check for the latest Vault version at startup.
Linda Bauer
SourceGear

tafountain

Post by tafountain » Mon Jun 12, 2006 3:36 pm

lbauer wrote:Thanks for the suggestion, Greg. It could be something simple like that. We have had a few reports of problems from the version check.

Tafountain -- if users disable the version check, do they still have login problems?

The setting is in the Vault GUI Client under Tools->Options->General->Check for the latest Vault version at startup.
Will do. Thanks Linda, Greg!

tafountain

Post by tafountain » Tue Jun 13, 2006 3:46 pm

Linda,

Attached you will find a log file that was created when a user experienced this hanging issue. Although we created this log file differently than you explained since it appeared that the CTRL ALT SHIFT F12 method of creating the log file persisted between sessions of the application. Instead, we modified the config file to log everything and then started the client. This log file only shows information from when the client was started until it hung (immediately).

Let me know if this provides any insight into this issue.
Attachments
20060613A_VaultClient.txt
(6.72 KiB) Downloaded 631 times

tafountain

Post by tafountain » Wed Jun 14, 2006 7:56 am

We let this users Vault client sit forever and attached is the resulting log file. This includes the contents of the prior log file (look for the string 6/13/2006 5:40:23 PM <emailview>: [Main:6128] Connection state changed from Connecting to Connected to see where the new one resumes).

Please advise.
Attachments
20060613B_VaultClient.txt
(33.74 KiB) Downloaded 677 times

lbauer

Post by lbauer » Wed Jun 14, 2006 8:38 am

There don't appear to be any errors in the client log. The client connects, gets various connection information from the server, then hangs.

I'd like to see the Vault server log. Could you post or email the sgvault.log file for the corresponding time periods? It's in the %windir%\temp\sgvault directory. Let me know the user(s) whose connections hung.

My email address is Linda at SourceGear.com.
Linda Bauer
SourceGear

lbauer

Post by lbauer » Wed Jun 14, 2006 9:39 am

One more thing -- do users have the Version check disabled, per the suggestion earlier in this thread?
Linda Bauer
SourceGear

tafountain

Post by tafountain » Wed Jun 21, 2006 8:19 am

Linda,

Sorry about the delay in responding, as we thought we had the problem resolved. However, it appears another user is having the same issues. Fortunately, from our prior issues, I already had all the logging enabled. I am going to email you the log files.