Compare by file content

If you are having a problem using Vault, post a message here.

Moderator: SourceGear

Dmitri Shvetsov

Compare by file content

Post by Dmitri Shvetsov » Wed Jun 21, 2006 3:03 pm

I'm sure this topic has already been fired. As many SG users we're having a problem with our *.csproj.user files. Yes, I want these files to be added to the Vault SourceGear (2.0.6 2219), but what I'm wondering is if it's possible to ask Vault to automatically compare the files by their content before showing in the Commit Window. There are at least a few quick methods to quickly filter the files out if the contents wasn't changed. The original list can be gotten by comparing the timestamp, but I don't want to see the files in the list without any changes. The files that I'm talking about ate having the custom information required for correct compiling and I wouldn't like to remove these files from the SG, from another side it's annoying to get these files in the commit list each time when I played with the VS and close it. The timestamp of these files is updated but the contents not.

Any good ideas except excluding these files form the SG?
Dmitri S

Dmitri Shvetsov

Re: Compare by file content

Post by Dmitri Shvetsov » Wed Jun 21, 2006 3:06 pm

Maybe one more idea to the previous posting. We're having the "Pin" feature. Can we optionally exclude the files from the Commit list if we applied Pin to these files? Like an additional checkbox - Show "Pin"-ed files.
Dmitri S

dan

Post by dan » Wed Jun 21, 2006 3:40 pm

.user files shouldn't be in source control because they are different for each user.

However, the general question of how to exclude files that have not changed their contents, but do have different timestamps is to use CRCs to compare file differences. Go to Tools->Options->Local files, and check the "Detect modified files using CRCs" checkbox.

Dmitri Shvetsov

Post by Dmitri Shvetsov » Wed Jun 21, 2006 6:29 pm

dan wrote:.user files shouldn't be in source control because they are different for each user.
This is not correct because these files are having the compiler configuration for Debug/Release by default as well as all additional modes that I created and we're using like DebugTimeProfiler, etc.
dan wrote:However, the general question of how to exclude files that have not changed their contents, but do have different timestamps is to use CRCs to compare file differences. Go to Tools->Options->Local files, and check the "Detect modified files using CRCs" checkbox.
Not so fast. I spent with this system over 5 years, the previous one that I was using was Source-off-site, then 3 years ago I switched to the SourceGear Vault. I know for sure that this feature CompareUsingCRC was existing on SoS, but it's not existing in the SourceGear, ver. 2.0.6 (2219) that I'm currently using. I can post a screenshot if you want. I'm wondering why this feature is not included here. Correct me if I'm wrong.
Dmitri S

GregM

Post by GregM » Thu Jun 22, 2006 7:21 am

Dmitri Shvetsov wrote:
dan wrote:.user files shouldn't be in source control because they are different for each user.
This is not correct because these files are having the compiler configuration for Debug/Release by default as well as all additional modes that I created and we're using like DebugTimeProfiler, etc.
Dmitri, Microsoft disagrees with you:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/defau ... onvert.asp

Files Excluded from Source Control

In addition to the webinfo file, Visual Studio .NET does not add certain project files to source control. Most excluded files contain user-specific settings that should not be shared. Along with the *.suo file, the following Web project files, among others, should never be added to source control:

*.vbproj.user, *.csproj.user
Dmitri Shvetsov wrote:
dan wrote:However, the general question of how to exclude files that have not changed their contents, but do have different timestamps is to use CRCs to compare file differences. Go to Tools->Options->Local files, and check the "Detect modified files using CRCs" checkbox.
Not so fast. I spent with this system over 5 years, the previous one that I was using was Source-off-site, then 3 years ago I switched to the SourceGear Vault. I know for sure that this feature CompareUsingCRC was existing on SoS, but it's not existing in the SourceGear, ver. 2.0.6 (2219) that I'm currently using. I can post a screenshot if you want. I'm wondering why this feature is not included here. Correct me if I'm wrong.
It was added in Vault 3.0.

Dmitri Shvetsov

Post by Dmitri Shvetsov » Thu Jun 22, 2006 3:04 pm

GregM wrote:
Dmitri Shvetsov wrote:

Dmitri, Microsoft disagrees with you:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/defau ... onvert.asp
It was great! Thanks a lot! Maybe I can lose something non-significant but maybe it's not very important. I tried to recreate all *.user files and they have been recreated with all latest configurations using by us.

Although the topic is still not closed, I resolved one of my issues.

The question was how to exclude the files form the Commit file list if the content of the files didn't change. In other words how can we enable comparing the file content using CRC or any other way to exclude them from the list of changed file. It was working slowly but great in SoS over 3 years ago.
Dmitri S

dan

Post by dan » Thu Jun 22, 2006 3:30 pm

You will need to upgrade to the latest release to get the CRC check. We added it in 3.0, and you are on 2.0.6.