Vault Client occasionaly hangs when idle

This forum is now locked, since Gold Support is no longer offered.

Moderator: SourceGear

dcrowell

Vault Client occasionaly hangs when idle

Post by dcrowell » Mon Jun 26, 2006 5:02 pm

I've been using 3.1.8 for quite a while on several machines for a while with no issues. Our latest development machine causes the Vault client to hang sometimes, usually when we are not interacting with it (editing files in Visual Studio 2005). We are not using the VS integration.

I believe this could be a threading bug. I say this because the new machine is our first dual-core machine, and because I've noticed that when attaching the debugger to the hung vault client, the call stack shows "In a sleep, wait, or join". When attached to an idle, but not hung instance, it still shows that, but the last code it can show (from the C runtime) is a call to InterlockedInrement from __addlocalref in setlocal.c.

I tried upgrading the client to 3.1.9, but it made no difference.

I tried logging, but couldn't get the hang to happen when logging on the client.

lbauer

Post by lbauer » Tue Jun 27, 2006 7:24 am

Could you clarify -- is the client open while you do other things, and then it hangs when you bring focus back?
Linda Bauer
SourceGear
Technical Support Manager

dcrowell

Post by dcrowell » Tue Jun 27, 2006 8:29 am

That's the way it appears. I'm not sure if it's hanging before I switch back, or when I switch back.

I've been running with logging all morning, and no hang so far... If it does hang again, I'll send you the relevant log entries.

dan

Post by dan » Tue Jun 27, 2006 9:05 am

Are you running the client under the 2.0 .Net framework? Check Help->Technical Support, and it will report which framework it is using.

There is a currently a known bug that the client will sometimes hang if it is put in the background running on 2.0. This will be fixed in Vault 3.5, but the default for now is to run it under the 1.1 framework.

dcrowell

Post by dcrowell » Tue Jun 27, 2006 9:37 am

Dan, that must be it.

That machine only has the 2.0 version of the framework installed.

It did lock again (this time with logging enabled), but occasional log entries were still appearing after the lock up. I'll keep the log file around in case installing the 1.1 framework doesn't fix it.

Thanks

dcrowell

Post by dcrowell » Tue Jun 27, 2006 3:53 pm

Just a followup. It's been running for hours now that I've installed the 1.1 framework, and it appears to be fixed.