Change Sets

If you are having a problem using Vault, post a message here.

Moderator: SourceGear

joel

Change Sets

Post by joel » Mon Feb 02, 2004 3:22 pm

Do you plan on persisting Change Sets throughout Vault in the future? (Of course, they may already be there in the db, but I just didn't see them in my cursory examination of the schema.)

By persistence, I mean being able to tag and check in a grouping of files under one bug number, for instance, but also to be able to rollback that Change Set if it broke the build, track it across branches (such as if you wanted to merge a feature into multiple baselines), etc.

Thanks,
Joel

ericsink

Re: Change Sets

Post by ericsink » Mon Feb 02, 2004 7:26 pm

joel wrote:Do you plan on persisting Change Sets throughout Vault in the future? (Of course, they may already be there in the db, but I just didn't see them in my cursory examination of the schema.)

By persistence, I mean being able to tag and check in a grouping of files under one bug number, for instance, but also to be able to rollback that Change Set if it broke the build, track it across branches (such as if you wanted to merge a feature into multiple baselines), etc.

Thanks,
Joel
Although the repository store is oriented around changesets, some of Vault's features are not oriented this way.

When you checkin a group of changes, they are kept together as a set and accepted as a single transaction.

However, we currently have no feature which allows you to rollback a change set as a unit. This is an omission we do intend to address.

The merging of branches is also currently not changeset-oriented.
Eric Sink
Software Craftsman
SourceGear

joel

Post by joel » Tue Feb 03, 2004 10:57 am

ericsink wrote:
joel wrote:Do you plan on persisting Change Sets throughout Vault in the future? (Of course, they may already be there in the db, but I just didn't see them in my cursory examination of the schema.)

Thanks,
Joel
Although the repository store is oriented around changesets, some of Vault's features are not oriented this way.

When you checkin a group of changes, they are kept together as a set and accepted as a single transaction.

However, we currently have no feature which allows you to rollback a change set as a unit. This is an omission we do intend to address.

Any idea on when you plan to implement the rollback feature (i.e., next major release, etc.)?

Is merging via changesets planned for the future as well?

Thanks,
Joel

ericsink

Post by ericsink » Tue Feb 03, 2004 11:07 am

joel wrote:
ericsink wrote:

Thanks,
Joel

Any idea on when you plan to implement the rollback feature (i.e., next major release, etc.)?

Is merging via changesets planned for the future as well?

Thanks,
Joel
Sorry, we say anything about a target date or release for either of these features. We don't get a lot of requests for either one. The overwhelming majority of our customers expect Vault to work just like SourceSafe (except better). Since SourceSafe doesn't support any notion of changesets or transactions at all, these requests are quite uncommon for us.
Eric Sink
Software Craftsman
SourceGear