Is SourceGear Viable?

If you are having a problem using Vault, post a message here.

Moderator: SourceGear

Pix

Is SourceGear Viable?

Post by Pix » Tue Jul 11, 2006 4:23 pm

I hope I can be really frank here -

We don't want to use TFS because:

- It's over $5000 just for five developers
- I read that all the problems are not smoothed out and that will probably take another year. Stability problems no thank you.

So then the question is can we invest in SourceGear - by that I mean:

- What are the odds you guys are in business a year from now (sorry, brutal honesty)
- Have you had a big decline in sales during the TFS hype/beta/release process?

Thank you,
Pix

lbauer

Post by lbauer » Tue Jul 11, 2006 7:43 pm

- What are the odds you guys are in business a year from now (sorry, brutal honesty)
I'd say 100%. I'm betting my job on it. :D
Not at all. Vault is a great product, with thousands of satisfied customers. We'll be releasing Vault 3.5 next week and Vault 4.0 is under development. We think there's room in the source control market for both Vault and TFS.
Linda Bauer
SourceGear
Technical Support Manager

ericsink

Re: Is SourceGear Viable?

Post by ericsink » Wed Jul 12, 2006 8:30 am

Pix wrote:I hope I can be really frank here
Always. :)
Pix wrote: - What are the odds you guys are in business a year from now (sorry, brutal honesty)
We will definitely be in business a year from now. Believe it or not, we've experienced no decline in sales since TFS came on the scene.

Vault and TFS are different in a lot of ways. I recently received a story from one of our customers about the decision process that brought them to us. They did an evaluation of Vault, TFS, Subversion and Perforce. They had the money to buy any of the four. Vault was the only product that met their requirements. I considered that very high praise considering that the other three competitors in that bakeoff are all excellent tools.

I'll admit we've lost some customers to TFS. For some people, TFS is what meets their requirements. I'm okay with that. I want customers to use the tool that is best for them.

I'm sure some folks are moving to TFS simply because it's new. Early adopters tend to always want the latest thing. They came to us when Vault was the latest thing. Now TFS is the latest thing, so they are moving on. I'm okay with that. I always knew those folks wouldn't stay long.

Version control is a very, very fragmented market. No player dominates. There are dozens of companies in this market, and most of them are profitable and successful.

As a private company which does not disclose its revenues, I can't prove any of this. But the truth is that if we did publish our financials, most people would be shocked at how strong and healthy this company is.
Eric Sink
Software Craftsman
SourceGear

Pix

Post by Pix » Wed Jul 12, 2006 8:54 am

Thank you for the responses.

I believe our decision is made to go with Vault.

That's another advantage of dealing with SourceGear, an open forum where key people will discuss their viewpoints.

Best regards,
Pix

ismangil

Re: Is SourceGear Viable?

Post by ismangil » Wed Jul 26, 2006 3:59 am

Pix wrote:I hope I can be really frank here -

We don't want to use TFS because:

- It's over $5000 just for five developers
If a team can't afford TFS then just go with Vault. Period. Full stop.
If you can't afford Vault, go with Subversion.

You can move to TFS later on anyway, once you've made millions of dollar selling your software.

That's the easy part.

If a team can afford TFS then, as Eric mentioned, you need a proper evaluation. For example, if all you really need is source control, TFS is overkill. However if you're prepared to use all that TFS gives: issue tracking, requirements, project management and the likes, then TFS would probably greater value than trying to integrate many other system.