A Macintosh User's Guide to Installing SOS 4.1.2 for Mac OS

If you are having a problem using SourceOffSite, post a message here.

Moderator: SourceGear

lgivens

A Macintosh User's Guide to Installing SOS 4.1.2 for Mac OS

Post by lgivens » Fri Feb 17, 2006 3:48 pm

How to Guide on Getting VSS/SourceOffSite Working on Mac OS X Tiger (10.4.4) - Even if you never compiled anything in your life!

Prerequisites:

1. Mac OS X 10.4.4

2. Install XCode 2.x or higher for Tiger Developers Tools (from Apple Install DVD)

3. Install X11 (version 1.1) from the same DVD, you can find it:

/Mac OS X Install Disc 1/System/Installation/X11User.pkg

Once you have the Apple tools done, you'll embark on getting the Unix side working.

Follow these steps, in this order:

1. Download and install Fink 0.80 (or latest version).

http://fink.sourceforge.net/download/in ... phpLang=en

2. Download Fink Commander 0.5.4 or higher (GUI for Fink) and place the App in your Utilities or Applications folder

http://finkcommander.sourceforge.net/

3. Download SourceOffSite for Mac OS X, get Version 4.1.2 Client for Mac OS X (w/ 128-bit encryption)

http://www.sourcegear.com/sos/downloads.html

Drop the SourceOffSite folder into your Utilities or Applications folder, nothing to install.

Configuring Fink to enable unstable packages:

1. To configure Fink to use unstable, edit /sw/etc/fink.conf (pico or vi)

2. Add unstable/main and unstable/crypto to the Trees: line

3. In Terminal, Run ./fink selfupdate (this could take a while, get a latte)

4. Run ./fink index

5. Run ./fink scanpackages

Installing READLINE, GNOME Toolkit, GNOME Lib

1. Launch Fink Commander

2. User the search to find "readline"

3. Highlight (shift-click) readline5 and readline5-shlibs

4. Click the Install Binary Files (or from Source if newer) icon (the first one on the toolbar) and wait for Fink Commander to say Done at the bottom.

5. Do the same for gtk+2, gtk+2-dev, gtk+2-shlibs, gtk-doc

6. Do the same for glib2, glib2-dev, glib2-shlibs

Opening SOS with X11

1. Go to your Utilities folder (or where you stuck SourceOffSite)

2. Open the SourceOffSite folder

3. CTRL-Click or Right-mouse click the sos file

4. Select Open With > Other...

5. Find X11 (in your Utilities folder), don't forget to click the checkbox Always Open With

6. Double-Click the sos file in the SourceOffSite Directory

-Lee :D
Last edited by lgivens on Sat Mar 04, 2006 10:40 am, edited 2 times in total.

lbauer

Post by lbauer » Fri Feb 17, 2006 4:41 pm

Awesome! :D
Linda Bauer
SourceGear
Technical Support Manager

phenox

Post by phenox » Wed Feb 22, 2006 10:25 am

I had to use intall from source to get the latest versions of GTK+2 and GLIB
other than that works like a charm.

tmcneer

SOS Still won't run

Post by tmcneer » Thu Jun 15, 2006 10:23 am

I have followed the instructions in this post. X11 was already installed. I have installed Fink and Fink Commander, along with the specified packages.

However, when I double-click on the sos file, I simply get an X11 window with a command prompt. The SOS gui doesn't launch.

Could someone give me some advice, please?

Tom

lbauer

Post by lbauer » Thu Jun 15, 2006 10:30 am

SOS must be launched from the command line. CD to the SOS directory, then type ./sos.
Linda Bauer
SourceGear

tmcneer

Still problems

Post by tmcneer » Fri Jun 16, 2006 11:41 am

Linda,

Thanks for the instructions. The main body of the original post says "double-click on SOS" - with no further instructions - so I didn't realize I needed to then go to the command line.

Unfortunately, when I issue the ./sos command, I receive the following:
"Incompatible library version: sos requires version 601.0.0 or later, but libgtk-x11-2.0.0.dylib provides version 401.0."

According to FinkCommander, my versions of X11 and gtk are current. But perhaps this is referring to a different library. Could you help me a bit more, please?

Thanks,

Tom

lbauer

Post by lbauer » Fri Jun 16, 2006 2:30 pm

What version of GTK are you using?

Did you use the unstable distribution of Fink?
Linda Bauer
SourceGear

lgivens

Re: Still problems

Post by lgivens » Sun Jun 25, 2006 11:25 pm

Hey Tom,
I wrote the original post and I may be able to help... If you have issues with Fink and the libgtk, you should start from scratch, follow the instructions in the original guide (you will need to follow it in the exact order, with the exact files). A quick look, it seems you have the stable versions of the libs, when you will need the unstable versions.

Also, to double click on SOS, you need to follow steps 1-5 (from the original post) for instructions on assigning the SOS file to X11 under Mac OS X. Just going to Step 6 won't work.

thanks...

Lee Givens
Discovery Communications, Inc.
tmcneer wrote:Linda,

Thanks for the instructions. The main body of the original post says "double-click on SOS" - with no further instructions - so I didn't realize I needed to then go to the command line.

Unfortunately, when I issue the ./sos command, I receive the following:
"Incompatible library version: sos requires version 601.0.0 or later, but libgtk-x11-2.0.0.dylib provides version 401.0."

According to FinkCommander, my versions of X11 and gtk are current. But perhaps this is referring to a different library. Could you help me a bit more, please?

Thanks,

Tom

b0b

Same problem

Post by b0b » Wed Jul 05, 2006 6:58 pm

I'm having a similar problem. See below.
Last edited by b0b on Thu Jul 06, 2006 2:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

b0b

wrong architecture?

Post by b0b » Thu Jul 06, 2006 2:38 pm

X11 is launching, but it just opens an xterm window. I tried running ./sos from that window and got this error:

dyld: Library not loaded: /sw/lib/libreadline.5.dylib
Referenced from: /Users/b0b/SourceOffSite/sos
Reason: no suitable image found. Did find:
/sw/lib/libreadline.5.dylib: mach-o, but wrong architecture
Trace/BPT trap

Hmmm... This is a brand new Mac Mini. Is the Intel architecture supported? (I'm using the Intel version of Fink.)

mslaven

Post by mslaven » Fri Jul 21, 2006 5:41 am

I as well would love to see a build of sos classic made available for intel macs. Hopefully it's just a matter of getting the correct set of libs together.

jclausius

Post by jclausius » Fri Jul 21, 2006 7:25 am

SourceOffsite 4.2 will have Intel Mac support. If anyone would like to participate in our upcoming SOS 4.2 Beta program, please let us know via this forum or by mailing support at sourcegear dot com.
Jeff Clausius
SourceGear

b0b

the quick fix

Post by b0b » Fri Jul 21, 2006 8:27 am

I worked around it by installing Parallels Desktop and Windows, setting up a shared folder between the Windows VM and my development environment, and then installing SOS in Windows. It's not as convoluted as it sounds, and I didn't have to rename header files or compile SOS from source. It was really very straight-forward.

I'd like to be in the Beta program, sure. Native apps are better of course, but Parallels desktop solved my immediate problem.

b0b

Problem with Parallels Desktop approach

Post by b0b » Wed Aug 16, 2006 3:08 pm

The Parallels desktop approach is less than perfect. The date format gets screwed up between the Windows and Mac views of the shared folder. SOS puts the files into the shared Mac folder with a "negative" time stamp (e.g. Dec. 31, 1969 4:01 PM).

What's worse is that Eclipse refuses to overwrite a file with a bogus time stamp, so I had to "touch *" on my source directory. This has the side effect of marking all of the files as "Renegade" in SOS.

The bottom line is that this solution is very unwieldy. Please let me know when the Intel Mac OS X version of SOS is available, even as beta. I need it!

lbauer

Post by lbauer » Fri Aug 18, 2006 9:35 am

The SOS 4.2 Beta with support for Intel Mac should be ready for testing in a couple of weeks. Email linda at sourcegear.com and I'll add you to our list of testers. Thanks!
Linda Bauer
SourceGear