VS2005 / ASP.NET 2.0 project, auto version numbers in app?

If you are having a problem using Vault, post a message here.

Moderator: SourceGear

Vodzurk

VS2005 / ASP.NET 2.0 project, auto version numbers in app?

Post by Vodzurk » Fri Aug 18, 2006 6:34 am

Hi Guys,

My first post... a question...

Is it easy to somehow get either Visual Studio 2005 / ASP.net / SourceGear Vault to update a project file somewhere that I can read in from my application to display the repository version number?

Up until now, we've just managed by manually updating a "Version History" page when a manager requests a release. But our development processes are now being refined, etc.

Beth

Post by Beth » Fri Aug 18, 2006 7:36 am

Are you possibly looking for the keyword expansion feature? Here's where more information on that can be found: http://download.sourcegear.com/misc/vau ... ansion.htm
There's one that will give a version number.

Vodzurk

Post by Vodzurk » Fri Aug 18, 2006 9:00 am

Beth wrote:Are you possibly looking for the keyword expansion feature? Here's where more information on that can be found: http://download.sourcegear.com/misc/vau ... ansion.htm
There's one that will give a version number.
Oooh, that's very almost what I'm after...

$Revision: $

Will put the file's revision in... I'm wanting the latest version for the folder within the root, as circled here:-

This would have the advantage that any client with issues 3 years down the line... we can pull out exactly which version of our continuously-in-development application they have.

Beth

Post by Beth » Fri Aug 18, 2006 3:57 pm

I'm not seeing one for grabbing the folder version. I can most certainly make a feature request for you for a new keyword.

Vodzurk

Post by Vodzurk » Tue Aug 22, 2006 10:17 am

Beth wrote:I'm not seeing one for grabbing the folder version. I can most certainly make a feature request for you for a new keyword.
That would be fantastic.

Either the folder version, or a folder from the root... for instance, to find out the folder version of...

$/MyProject/Reporting/

Would help to see what version of the reporting services a client is using... Or, the main projects' version...

$/MyProject/

DavidAtABC

Post by DavidAtABC » Mon Sep 11, 2006 9:17 am

Please add my vote to this feature request. Would like to be able to output folder version so as to stamp a unique version of an application / web app based on changes to any of it's source.

It's basically what already appears on the dialog box shown above.

If it could be output automatically to a file, whenever anything was checked in, it would be even better.