Moving from trial to production / recreating the db

This forum is now locked, since Gold Support is no longer offered.

Moderator: SourceGear

Mike Mestemaker

Moving from trial to production / recreating the db

Post by Mike Mestemaker » Wed Sep 06, 2006 10:12 am

While testing the product, I imported some data from our existing SourceSafe repository. Changes in SourceSafe have occurred since then and I'd like to simply recreate the Vault database. What is the simplest procedure for doing that?

lbauer

Post by lbauer » Wed Sep 06, 2006 10:43 am

Uninstall Vault and drop the database when prompted. (Backup the database first, in case you change your mind).

Then reinstall. A new, empty database will be created.
Linda Bauer
SourceGear
Technical Support Manager

jdavidi

Post by jdavidi » Thu Sep 07, 2006 3:09 pm

This thread brought to light a question I had about our upcoming conversion to production: I've created about a dozen repositories thus far. A few are still empty and awaiting imports, 2 are for testing purposes, and 3 at the moment are actively used and we had no plans to scrub them. We were planning on just deleting the test repositories once we're done with them.

Is it better to start over with a clean Vault install though?

lbauer

Post by lbauer » Fri Sep 08, 2006 8:13 am

Either would be fine, but if you are actively using 3 repositories, do you really want to start over without any history?

Dropping entire test repositories shouldn't be too much of a problem. It's faster than Obliterate, which must do many checks on individual items to make sure it's deleting the right items.
Linda Bauer
SourceGear

jdavidi

Post by jdavidi » Fri Sep 08, 2006 8:35 am

Given what's in the active repositories, it wouldn't be a tremendous loss if they had to be scrapped; we would just generate and save some key history reports before doing so.

I'm curious, though--What do you mean by "Dropping entire test repositories shouldn't be too much of a problem" ? :D

Anythihng special we should anticipate?

lbauer

Post by lbauer » Fri Sep 08, 2006 8:38 am

Depending on how big the repositories are, it could take a while.
Linda Bauer
SourceGear

jdavidi

Post by jdavidi » Fri Sep 08, 2006 8:39 am

Oh, OK. We should be fine then. I dropped a test one a few weeks ago bigger than any I've going now and it was just a few minutes. Thanks!