Trying to update

This forum is now locked, since Gold Support is no longer offered.

Moderator: SourceGear

jjohnson

Trying to update

Post by jjohnson » Fri Sep 22, 2006 5:49 pm

I thought I had everything ready to go, and I would not run into any issues.

Here is what I did:

1.) Backed up my database through the Vault Admin Tool, and MS SQL Enterprise manager.
2.) Create a new SQL user with SQL authentication in MS SQL with the same rights as the 'sgvaultuser'.
3.) Installed the update, told it to use the new user I set up 'vaultUser'
4.) It failed during install, said my user 'vaultUser' did have access (error -1280 'User does not have permissions to perform this action'
5.) So I then looked in MS SQL and it marked the 'sgVault' database with 'Single User' (not sure why, must be an install thing)
6.) Confused with the 'Single User' thing ... I restored my database
7.) I then tried to log back in using the admin tool ... it said it could not access the database ... but then about 5-10mins later I was able to
8.) Now in MS SQL, funny things are happening with the 'sgvaultuser'. When I check on the permissions, I have lost the abilty to modify them. I get the following error: 'Error 21776: [SQL-DMO]The name 'sgvaultuser' was not found in the Users Collection. If the name is a qualified name, use [] to separate various parts of the name, and try again'

I am now back up and running but with the original version.

I do not know the orginal password for the 'sgvaultuser' in MS SQL, the person who set this up orignally is no longer here now.

How do I upgrade without knowing 'sgvaultuser's' password?

Is there a way to change the password for 'sgvaultuser' without knowing the original password?

Jay Johnson
Last edited by jjohnson on Fri Sep 22, 2006 9:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jjohnson

Post by jjohnson » Fri Sep 22, 2006 7:23 pm

Ok ... I think I might have found where I went wrong.

During setup when I thought I was specifying the a database user for Vault to use for all of its database transactions, I should have entered a user with Admin rights just for installation purposes.

The whole create a new user thing I did was wrong, because Vault always uses 'sgvaultuser' for transactions.

I still need help but I wanted to make sure I understand what is going on.

PLEASE HELP TONIGHT !!!

Jay Johnson

jjohnson

Post by jjohnson » Fri Sep 22, 2006 7:52 pm

After reading through the forums I found some things that might help.

I was able to upgrade the server, as far as I can tell. The installer went through, said it updated the schema, and said everything was fine.

When I tried to connect to Vault using the Vault Admin Tool, I got the following:

"The Vault Server could not establish a connection to the database. Please check the server's log for detailed information. (FailDBConn)"

So what I did was un-install, and re-install ... and I get the same error:
"The Vault Server could not establish a connection to the database. Please check the server's log for detailed information. (FailDBConn)"

I will continue looking through the forums ... but please feel free to jump in at any time.

Thanks,

Jay Johnson
Last edited by jjohnson on Fri Sep 22, 2006 9:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jjohnson

Post by jjohnson » Fri Sep 22, 2006 7:56 pm

I noticed my database does not have a 'sgvaultuser' listed under Users.

Any reason why I wouldn't have this user?

I know it did before the upgrade.

Jay Johnson

jjohnson

Post by jjohnson » Fri Sep 22, 2006 7:58 pm

removed
Last edited by jjohnson on Fri Sep 22, 2006 9:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jjohnson

Post by jjohnson » Fri Sep 22, 2006 9:08 pm

Well this is fun :) .

I now seem to have upgraded, and I am able to log in with the admin tool.

I manually added the 'sgvaultuser' to MS SQL, and then un-installed and re-installed.

Now it seems that my users that are set up for Active Directory authentication cannot log in.

I have a CCNET build user, which is not set up for Active Directory authentication, and that user can log in just fine.

So now I need help with Active Directory ... I will continue to search.

Jay Johnson

jjohnson

Most recent install log file

Post by jjohnson » Fri Sep 22, 2006 9:09 pm

Well I finally found all the posts I needed to get this done.

Everything seems to work.

This was the link I needed to fix the Active Directory integration:
http://support.sourcegear.com/viewtopic ... ght=active

After running the IndentitySwitcher ... I still had to goto the "Server Options tab" in the Admin Tool and enter the Domain info. This step was not covered in the following link (embeeded in the link above):
http://support.sourcegear.com/viewtopic.php?t=2953

I was certain that I had set set up Active Directory integration during the install. I entered the user name and pass and everything, but it didn't take for some reason.

Good Luck
Last edited by jjohnson on Fri Sep 22, 2006 9:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jjohnson

Post by jjohnson » Fri Sep 22, 2006 10:07 pm

One thing I noticed was it seems to be using either NT AUTH, or the domain user I setup with IdentitySwitcher.

The web.config is not using the SQL auth.

I thought it was using 'sgvaultuser' but it apparently is not.

I could use some help understanding this.

I would like to know if it is secure using Windows auth as apposed to SQL auth.

Thanks

Jay

jclausius

Post by jclausius » Sat Sep 23, 2006 4:50 am

You have two things you need to authenticate against:
1) If you use "Windows authentication" to connect to SQL Server, you'll need to make sure the IIS Process account which controls the Vault Server is a Windows Account which can authenticate to the SQL Server.

If you use "SQL Server authentication" to connect to SQL Server, then the sgvaultuser SQL account is used, and you can ignore this requirement.

2) When using Active Directory the IIS Process which controls the Vault Server must be a Windows domain account which can authenticate/query the Active Directory Server for password authentication.

When using BOTH Active Directory authentication and Windows Authentication for SQL Server, the key will be configuring the Vault Server / IIS Process model to use a Domain Account which can authenticate to both users.

HTH
Jeff Clausius
SourceGear