VaultIDE.dll 3.1.9 has a dependency on .NET 1.1 Framework

If you are having a problem using Vault, post a message here.

Moderator: SourceGear

mlippert

VaultIDE.dll 3.1.9 has a dependency on .NET 1.1 Framework

Post by mlippert » Tue Oct 10, 2006 12:52 pm

It appears that the VaultIDE.dll 3.1.9 has a dependency on .NET 1.1 Framework.

I say this because I am installing our development environment on a brand new machine which only had .NET 2.0 installed.

I use CodeWright as my editor and it has a source control interface that can use the SCC API. It's been working great on my existing machine for the last year and a half.

On the new machine, Visual Studio 2005 source control integration was working, but CodeWright was crashing every time it tried to access the VaultIDE.dll.

Finally I downloaded and installed the .NET 1.1 Framework from Microsoft, and everything worked. That points at some VaultIDE.dll .NET 1.1 dependency to me.

It's working for me now which is all I really care about, but I thought you (and other Vault users) might like to know.

Mike

Beth

Post by Beth » Tue Oct 10, 2006 2:41 pm

Support for the .Net 2.0 framework occurred around Vault 3.1. In Vault 3.5, improvements were made to how Vault interacts with the .Net 2.0 framework. I don't believe we've tested with CodeWright to see what happens in that scenario, so there is the chance that the interaction between the two may have some effect on that.

Thanks

mlippert

Post by mlippert » Tue Oct 10, 2006 4:05 pm

I knew that Vault moved to the .NET 2.0 framework for version 3.1 which is what I was using. I didn't expect there to be any dependencies on .NET 1.1 after that time.

I didn't expect you to have tested w/ CodeWright (it was bought by Borland a while back and discontinued :( ), and my only reason for reporting the issue, is that I thought your developers would like to know that there seemed to be a dependency that I don't think they expected.

I suspect that CodeWright uses some part of the API in some way differently than Visual Studio, and that calls some code that depends on something in the .NET 1.1 framework.

I'm hoping to upgrade our installation to Vault 3.5 Thursday evening (boy I hope that goes smoothly), and maybe I'll get a chance to test the 3.5 version w/o the .NET 1.1 Framework installed (but I'm not sure where). If I do, I'll add a reply to this topic.

Mike

Beth

Post by Beth » Wed Oct 11, 2006 7:58 am

Thanks for the feedback. :-)