SS Import Tool -->Finish button prompts to cancel?!

This forum is now locked, since Gold Support is no longer offered.

Moderator: SourceGear

jdavidi

SS Import Tool -->Finish button prompts to cancel?!

Post by jdavidi » Mon Oct 16, 2006 11:26 am

Good afternoon all,

Using v3.5.0.
We just completed a 40+ hour import process; I can log in from various clients and see all of the files I'm expecting, but when I click finish on the last dialgo of the SS Import Tool's wizard I get a popup asking me to confirm if I wish to cancel the import process. Saying no leaves me there, but I didn't want to click "yes" until someone could confirm that this won't be destructive :)

Would it be safer to End Process from Task Manager instead?

Much obliged,

--jdavidi

Beth

Post by Beth » Mon Oct 16, 2006 12:50 pm

Do you know if the number of exported and processed files match? It should be listed on the import tool. If those don't match, then it may have something more to complete.

And you got an "import successfully completed" pop-up box that you could say ok to? If you have not seen that yet, then it may not be finished.

I wouldn't kill any processes until it's known that it's finished. It might not be readily apparent what other things it is taking care of as part of finishing the import. Having to hit cancel or to kill a process is not normal.

You may wish to check the import/export log located in the same directory as the import/export tool in case any errors have popped up.

jdavidi

Post by jdavidi » Mon Oct 16, 2006 1:51 pm

Hi Beth,

I couldn't find those exported/processed files number to compare, but the import log is...interesting to say the least.

It seems like it created all 1,000 or so folders that we had, but then there's one of these entries for seemingly every single file in the repository that it tried to import (20,000+ files):

Upload for item $/DevTools/AutomatedTesting/ClientService/ClientService/FileManager.cs failed too many times, aborting transaction.
Please verify your network settings using the Options dialog under the Tools menu in the Vault GUI Client.
The specific error was "The server returned an unknown error header: VaultFileUpload.aspx encountered: FailFileInvalidCheckSum"
An exception was encountered during the transaction. Exception: The server returned an unknown error header: VaultFileUpload.aspx encountered: FailFileInvalidCheckSum at VaultClientOperationsLib.ClientInstance.UploadItem(ChangeSetItem item, String txID, Byte[]& streamBuffer, Int32& bytesWrittenThisFile, Boolean bIsImport)
at VaultClientOperationsLib.UploadThread.ProcessCommand(UploadThreadCommand command, UploadThreadCommandResult& outputResult)
**Failed** - Error trying to commit. Exception of type System.Exception was thrown.
Trace: at VSSImport.WizardForm.ProcessTransaction(String strProgressText, VaultDateTime dtg, Int32 userID)
10/15/2006 8:30:39 AM - Unable to commit for 4/5/2004 4:50:12 PM - $/DevTools/AutomatedTesting/ClientService/ClientService/FileManager.cs - Checked in $/DevTools/AutomatedTesting/ClientService/ClientService.
Refreshing SourceSafe connection...
Opening: C:\NetSourceLive\srcsafe.ini
User: admin
VSS database open: True

I've had 2 machines do full gets from the respository, and our build goes through, so I don't think any files are missing--I wonder if just maybe some histories are missing?

Is there anything specific you would have me grep for in the log file (it's 164+ MB)? Would I want to "over-import" to the same repository in an attempt to fix, or would it be better to start with a clean one?

Beth

Post by Beth » Mon Oct 16, 2006 2:51 pm

So you're say for example that FileManager.cs is in the Vault database?

This is an import from VSS, right?
Before we go too far here, did you make a back up of your VSS database before the import?

jdavidi

Post by jdavidi » Mon Oct 16, 2006 2:54 pm

Yes, FileManager.cs (plus the other 20,000 files) are definitely now in Vault (as are his particular 9 revision's worth of history).

And our SourceSafe databases are safe, and they "passed" a run of the archaic Analyze utility before the Vault import started.

jdavidi

Post by jdavidi » Tue Oct 17, 2006 9:51 am

So we ended up finding out that indeed we did not get a full import, at least history-wise. We can't find evidence of missing files, but it's more as though we get history up to a certain random point for each file (and sometimes we get all the history).

Plan is to scrap the repository this evening and reimport in smaller chunks, taking backups in between.

Do we know what can cause these The specific error was "The server returned an unknown error header: VaultFileUpload.aspx encountered: FailFileInvalidCheckSum" errors though? Couldn't find that one on any message board threads.

Thanks,

--jdavidi

Beth

Post by Beth » Tue Oct 17, 2006 12:29 pm

During an import I would expect that something still wasn't initially quite right with the file when it was in VSS, but without seeing it myself, it would be hard to say.

Before starting this, did you review the article on importing from VSS? http://support.sourcegear.com/viewtopic.php?t=7
What are your resources like between the two machines you are using?

Were you using IDE integration before with VSS? If so, then that has special instructions of it's own found here: http://support.sourcegear.com/viewtopic.php?t=3953

I agree with your decision to importing in chunks as one of the things to try.

jdavidi

Post by jdavidi » Tue Oct 17, 2006 12:42 pm

Hi again,

Yes, we've followed those articles' recommendations for all of the mock conversions we've performed over the past few months, but this was the first time we got any "unhandled" exceptions.

We do use Visual Studio integration, but I have a script I plan to run on the imported repository once the import is complete to remove everything (this approach has worked fine against our 5 successful dry run imports to date).

We're currently in the midst of our first "chunk" import.

So this CheckSum error is a new one to you guys then?

lbauer

Post by lbauer » Wed Oct 18, 2006 9:25 pm

We've seen FailFileInvalidCheckSum before, usually in conjunction with a file upload problem. It may not be a problem specifically with the VSS files, but with getting them to the Vault server.

What does the Vault Server log report for the corresponding time periods of some of these FailFileInvalidCheckSum errors?
Linda Bauer
SourceGear
Technical Support Manager

jdavidi

Post by jdavidi » Wed Oct 18, 2006 10:14 pm

About 40 hours of the following pattern of statements (I didn't have debug logging enabled at the time):

Login
SSL Disabled VaultFileUpload.aspx encountered: FailFileInvalidCheckSum
Logout

I've since scrapped that repository and resorted to the "chunking" method, and haven't encountered those errors again yet. We should be where we want to be by midday tomorrow.

Perhaps we just had a run of bad luck networking-wise over the weekend. I'll keep you posted should I run into it again.

Thanks very much!

--jdavidi

Beth

Post by Beth » Thu Oct 19, 2006 7:16 am

Thanks