Can't edit code in merge tool

If you are having a problem using Vault, post a message here.

Moderator: SourceGear

rakkar3

Can't edit code in merge tool

Post by rakkar3 » Fri Sep 22, 2006 9:56 am

When I try to merge branches I get the needs merge message.

I hit "Show Merge" and it brings up the SourceGear DiffMerge tool.

I try to type in the center pane to resolve the merge (as I can do in Perforce BTW) and nothing happens. There is no cursor, or icon, or other way to fix the merge. The only option I seem to have is to either accept the merge or delete it, when in reality I need to type code to fix it.

How should I do this?
Attachments
needsmerge.jpg
Needs merge
needsmerge.jpg (10.79 KiB) Viewed 8601 times
filehasbeenmodified.jpg
File has been modified
filehasbeenmodified.jpg (8.32 KiB) Viewed 8601 times

lbauer

Post by lbauer » Fri Sep 22, 2006 4:11 pm

It's not possible to edit in the Merge results in the current version of Vault. You can choose to move the highlighted text into or out of the Merge results from the Repository version or the Working Copy. Right click on the Working version or Repository version to see your options.
Linda Bauer
SourceGear
Technical Support Manager

rakkar3

Post by rakkar3 » Fri Sep 22, 2006 8:27 pm

By definition conflicts can not be resolved simply by adding or removing lines of code. If those are the only options provided by the merge tool, and the merge tool is the only option provided by Vault to resolve conflicts, that means the current version of Vault cannot resolve branch merge conflicts.

What do you recommend I do when I have conflicts?

rakkar3

Post by rakkar3 » Sun Sep 24, 2006 8:38 am

Has anyone else come up with a solution around this problem? Vault has many users and I can't believe nobody else has a problem with not being able to resolve merge conflicts. At my company we use Perforce and I've been trying to push them to switch to Vault for a while now. But we get merge conflicts a dozen times a day, which is prettty easily resolved with Perforce. If Vault has no solution to this then I will stop pushing to switch, or at least until a later version when it does have a fix.

jclausius

Post by jclausius » Mon Sep 25, 2006 8:22 am

I don't have a solution for the current release of Vault (3.5.1), but I can say we plan on adding this capability to SourceGear's diff / merge tool in the next *major* release of Vault.
Jeff Clausius
SourceGear

rakkar3

Post by rakkar3 » Mon Sep 25, 2006 8:30 am

I'll look forward to that, thanks! I really do like Vault and much rather use it.

GregM

Post by GregM » Mon Sep 25, 2006 11:55 am

If I need to do an edit within a line when I merge, I just select "my" changes as the ones to keep, and then go back and do a difference later to resolve the problem. We use BeyondCompare as our difference tool (been using it since we started using SourceOffSite), and it allows edits within lines. It doesn't yet do 3-way merges, though they tell us it's in the works, so we use the SGDM program for the 3-way merging.

armel

another possibility

Post by armel » Wed Oct 25, 2006 12:48 pm

I would suggest ECMerge (it is a 3-way with in-line differences, you can edit the merged result in the bottom view and it is really affordable)
it works great an Windows and Linux.
the 2.0 beta is started and it supports in-line merge (for example, indentation / modifications merges are rather well merged)