Visual Studio 2005 "Web Site" model

This forum is now locked, since Gold Support is no longer offered.

Moderator: SourceGear

Lane

Visual Studio 2005 "Web Site" model

Post by Lane » Fri Dec 08, 2006 11:28 am

The "Web Site" model in VS 2005 doesn't use .sln or .csproj files to track which files are part of the web site.

Suppose I and another developer are working on the same web site. Both of us have local copies on our individual workstations.

If I delete a file from my web site, I am prompted whether I want to delete it from source control as well.

My question is, if I delete it from source control, and then the other developer does a "Get Latest," will Vault detect the file and delete it from his local machine so it won't get re-added when he does a Check In?

Beth

Post by Beth » Fri Dec 08, 2006 2:30 pm

Where are you deleting the file from?

What files are included or not included is controlled by Visual Studio, not Vault. In order to ensure that VS does not continue to think it needs that file, you have to perform the deletion while in the IDE.

gmagana

Post by gmagana » Mon Dec 18, 2006 1:59 pm

Lane,

I hughly recommend you use web application projects (included in the just-released vs2005 SP1) instead of the web site model. Microsoft way oversimplified the model in the web site model they put into vs2005 and it causes many headaches for programmers. What you are seeing is just one of the many problems there are with web sites under vs2005.

And to answer your question: Yes, the other person would add the old file back into the solution if they do not pay attention. For some reason, MS did not see this as a problem...
gabriel magana-gonzalez