Multiple CPUs and Vault Performance

If you are having a problem using Vault, post a message here.

Moderator: SourceGear

kasti

Multiple CPUs and Vault Performance

Post by kasti » Thu Mar 16, 2006 8:29 am

Hi,

Although we have been following all the performance tipps given here, we are still not entirely happy with the situation. I think our database is reasonably big and quite complex (lots of sharing/pinning/labelling, I guess jeff can confirm this) and simple things like "show labels" might take 2 minutes to generate for certain folders.
I can see that during this time, CPU performance goes to 100% with SQL Server grinding away. The first thing that we are going to do is upgrade our server RAM from 1GB to 4 GB. What I am thinking also is adding more CPUs but I want to make sure that this gives a noticable performance boost.

So my question is how much performance would you gain by adding more CPUs. Would a "show label" time for example almost be halved?

Thanks,
Herbert.

lbauer

Post by lbauer » Thu Mar 16, 2006 3:26 pm

Additional CPU's would not be the first choice. We're familiar with your database an the types of operations you're getting slowdowns in generally run in a single thread. So more RAM, faster CPU and faster disks would improve performance. After that, additional CPUs may help.
Linda Bauer
SourceGear
Technical Support Manager

kasti

Post by kasti » Tue Mar 20, 2007 3:45 am

Hi,

I will need some more detailed recommendation about this. We are going to get a new HS21 blade server. Talked to our IT and basically we could get one of the following:

Dual Core @3GHz or
8 Cores @2.3GHz

We have got 65 licenses, and always between 30 and 40 users logged in.

So which of the above systems would give better performance, or are there any other setups that we should take a look at?

Additionally, with vault 3.5.2 being 64bit ready, would running windows 64bit + sql server 64bit give a performance advantage?

Thanks in advance,
Herbert.

kasti

Post by kasti » Wed Mar 21, 2007 11:10 am

Hi,

Any thoughts that you guys want to share here are really welcome :wink:

Bye,
Herbert.

lbauer

Post by lbauer » Wed Mar 21, 2007 1:37 pm

Dual Core or Quad would be adequate for Vault. Eight is probably overkill.

Regarding 64-bit -- Vault isn't optimized for 64bit, but you might get better performance from SQL Server 64-bit.
Linda Bauer
SourceGear
Technical Support Manager