Vault backup failing?

This forum is now locked, since Gold Support is no longer offered.

Moderator: SourceGear

sswanson

Vault backup failing?

Post by sswanson » Fri Mar 30, 2007 9:38 am

As is habit I try and do a Vault Backup twice a week or so but when I tried to do yesterday's update it failed twice and I recieved this error both times:

VaultServiceAPILib.VaultSoapException: 1104 : FailDBReader at VaultService.VaultAdminService.CreateBackup(VaultBackup& vBackup)

I figured that it might be due to a high load on our server so I went to try this morning and saw the backup that I tried to do yesterday in the back up file list. Not trusting that this backup was good I tried another and it ailed too. Now I shut down and restarted the Admin Client and I cn see the backup that I just tried to do, but it also told me failed in the backup file list. Will these be corrupt backups? How can I fix this problem so that I can reliably keep backing up the repository on schedule.

Beth

Post by Beth » Fri Mar 30, 2007 10:52 am

What version of SQL server are you using?
Have you tried a back-up using SQL server instead of Vault? If so, what are the results?
What are the sizes of your .mdf and .ldf files?
What recovery mode do you have set for your sgvault database?

sswanson

Post by sswanson » Fri Mar 30, 2007 3:13 pm

We are useing Microsoft SQL 2000.
Not to my knowledge, not we haven't. I did run DBCC CHECKDB and it didn't come up with any errors in the SQL Database.
Our .mdf file is 1.5 GB and our .ldf is 15.2 GB.
Where do I find thhe recovery mode?

Beth

Post by Beth » Fri Mar 30, 2007 4:09 pm

Ok, you may have some problems with that .ldf file if it continues with that kind of size. That's pretty large. You will still be able to backup, but I would recommend you truncate and shrink that .ldf file when you are finished and then do another backup. I would say definitely try your backup in the Enterprise Manager.

This forum post here will tell you how to truncate your log: http://support.sourcegear.com/viewtopic.php?t=5160

To find the recovery mode you are using, select the database in the Enterprise Manager and view Properties and go to the Options tab.

Beth

Post by Beth » Mon Oct 01, 2007 2:12 pm

Another user wrote to me and suggest to also check the space on your hard drive. That user saw the same error when he didn't have enough space on the hard drive for the backup.