Vault & windows authentication

If you are having a problem using Vault, post a message here.

Moderator: SourceGear

bermo

Vault & windows authentication

Post by bermo » Tue Apr 03, 2007 5:38 am

I am evaluating vault in an Intranet environment and it is a real pain to have to deal with passwords at all. Is there a config setting I can change that will enable the password check when windows authentication is ticked to be bypassed for a single signon? If this is not available in Vault 3.5, will it be available in vault 4.0?

lbauer

Post by lbauer » Tue Apr 03, 2007 8:31 am

it is a real pain to have to deal with passwords at all
Is this from a user standpoint or a Vault Admin standpoint?

Vault doesn't support single logins, but users can log in automatically by creating a profile. In the Connect to Server dialog, click Edit Profiles. Create a new profile name, fill out login information, choose a default repository to connect to, save that and then in the Connect to Server dialog, choose "Automatically connect using this Profile."

From an Admin standpoint, you don't have to deal with passwords if you use Active Directory authentication. Users will log in to Vault with the same password they use for network logins.
Linda Bauer
SourceGear
Technical Support Manager

bermo

Vault single sign-on.

Post by bermo » Wed Apr 04, 2007 5:35 am

My single sign-on question is from a user standpoint, but has benefits for administration of these users as well.

I feel that the authentication part of Vault is actually a step backwards from SourceSafe 6.0d (in an intranet environment) where SourceSafe could at least pre-populate with my user login. I see the users having to setup and manage profiles on their computers an extra step which shouldn't be necessary under this scenario. I'm sure not all your customers would want to bypass the user actually entering their windows passwords like us, but surely it cannot too had to add some sort of setting to simply allow the logged on user to be the authentication?

lbauer

Post by lbauer » Wed Apr 04, 2007 8:08 am

I've added your comments to the feature request already logged for this, and bumped it up in priority.
Linda Bauer
SourceGear

bermo

Post by bermo » Wed Apr 04, 2007 5:08 pm

Thanks for that Linda.

joakimwg

Re: Vault & windows authentication

Post by joakimwg » Wed Oct 01, 2008 4:35 am

Are there any plans to support single in an near future? Even if the profile part exists all our users have to go in and update their profiles every 90 days (this is how ling IT have decided that passwords are valid).

lbauer

Post by lbauer » Wed Oct 01, 2008 7:28 am

We have feature request 11228 logged already for Vault to use the credentials of the use logged into Windows, but we don't have timeline yet for implementation. I'll add your "vote" though.
Linda Bauer
SourceGear

nemoby

Post by nemoby » Wed Oct 01, 2008 9:48 am

Laura,

I would add the ability to map AD groups to security groups within Vault.

-Andy

lbauer

Post by lbauer » Thu Oct 02, 2008 6:02 am

Will do.
Linda Bauer
SourceGear