Get latest since <label> or <date>?

This forum is now locked, since Gold Support is no longer offered.

Moderator: SourceGear

davenovak

Get latest since <label> or <date>?

Post by davenovak » Thu Mar 08, 2007 6:25 pm

Does Vault support anything like get latest since <label> | <date>? I have not seen it. (But if you have it, please let me know.) In our build system, we have a few cases where something like this would be really helpful.

Here's an example. Suppose you have a very large ASP site (5000+ files) and you would like your build process to produce both a Full folder (containing all files) and an Upgrade folder (containing just the files that changed in this release). You could create the Full folder by simply doing a Get Latest. But creating the Upgrade folder could be tricky. This is where I would like to do something like Get Latest Since <date> | <label>. Having this functionality would make it much easier to deploy just updates to our web site (amongst other advantages).

If you ever consider adding such functionality, you should support this for all Get commands (including Get Label and Get Wildcard). My suggestion would be to add support for -since_date or -since_label options to all Get commands. At least that's how I would implement it.

Or, do you have any other suggestions? I know that there are other 3rd-party tools out there that could help, but I'd prefer to handle this from SCC if at all possible.

Thanks!

lbauer

Post by lbauer » Fri Mar 09, 2007 11:26 am

Not specifically, though we've had requests for this functionality.

Some users have used the Command Line Client history query to parse out files checked in or added after a particular date.

I'll add your suggestions to the feature request for this capabilty.
Linda Bauer
SourceGear
Technical Support Manager

davenovak

Post by davenovak » Sat Mar 10, 2007 11:40 am

This is not a huge priority, though it would be a nice feature. I have a workaround that uses Vault in conjunction with a 3rd-party tool, Beyond Compare, to pull this off.

Here's what I do:
  • 1. Use GET LABEL to pull base files in <dir>_base
    2. Use GET LATEST to pull latest files into <dir>_latest
    3. Use Beyond Compare scripting to copy changes (comparing <dir>_latest with <dir>_base) into <dir>
    4. Delete <dir>_base and <dir>_latest, leaving just updated files in <dir>
I've encapsulated this functionality into a single command in our build system.

davenovak

Post by davenovak » Mon Mar 12, 2007 12:15 pm

The Vault client is also very good about showing you differences since a given label. To see this in action, select the desired root folder, right-click and select Show Labels..., pick the label you wish to use as the starting point, right-click and select Diff $/<folder>, and then (from the Show Differences dialog) select The current version in the repository now, check Recursive, and click OK.

To view only differences, uncheck Show Identical Items from the Settings menu on the Show Folder Differences report page.

StephenJ

Post by StephenJ » Tue Apr 03, 2007 9:42 am

lbauer wrote:Not specifically, though we've had requests for this functionality.

Some users have used the Command Line Client history query to parse out files checked in or added after a particular date.

I'll add your suggestions to the feature request for this capabilty.
Add me to the list also. I like your product but I'm actually quite surprised that this isn't in the product already.

lbauer

Post by lbauer » Tue Apr 03, 2007 10:20 am

Will do.

Dave -- thanks for the info on how you've got this working. It might help other users in the meantime.
Linda Bauer
SourceGear
Technical Support Manager