Rename Vault Folder

If you are having a problem using Vault, post a message here.

Moderator: SourceGear

Mike Lukas

Rename Vault Folder

Post by Mike Lukas » Wed May 23, 2007 7:34 am

Vault 3.5.2

We recently starting using Dragnet and this highlighted a problem with the name of a top level folder in Vault. We have a top level folder named "Visual C++". The "+" in the folder name creates a problem when trying to view items in the Vault Web Client. Although the Vault Web Client allows you to navigiate through the folders, when you try to view an item you get a "Error: FailObjPathInvalid" message.

I now want to rename this top level folder so that we can view Vault items from within the Dragnet Web Client (which uses the Vault Web Client), but before I do so I want to understand the implications.

1. We use the Vault GUI Client exclusively. What will happen if there are items that have been modified but not yet checked back in when the folder is renamed?

2. When the top level folder is renamed, what will happened to all the data stored locally on each computer? Will the Vault GUI Client loose track of the versions and status of all the local files?

3. We have the $Log: $ keyword in the header of our source files. When we rename the top level folder will Vault update these keywords so that they have the correct path? If not, will the fact that the path in the keyword is incorrect create any problems?

4. Is there anything else that I should be concerned about?

lbauer

Post by lbauer » Wed May 23, 2007 3:04 pm

1. We use the Vault GUI Client exclusively. What will happen if there are items that have been modified but not yet checked back in when the folder is renamed?
You can't rename a folder which has items checked out.
2. When the top level folder is renamed, what will happened to all the data stored locally on each computer? Will the Vault GUI Client loose track of the versions and status of all the local files?
When the folder is renamed, there will be no corresponding working folder name, so your file status will be "missing". You can set a new working folder or rename the working folder to match the new folder name.
3. We have the $Log: $ keyword in the header of our source files. When we rename the top level folder will Vault update these keywords so that they have the correct path? If not, will the fact that the path in the keyword is incorrect create any problems?
It might update keywords of files that are modified and checked in, since keywords are updated on checkin. It won't change other files.
4. Is there anything else that I should be concerned about?
I'd suggest creating a test repository, adding a few folders and files and testing this out before you try it on a production repository/folder. I don't think it will cause problems, but at least you'll know what to expect.
Linda Bauer
SourceGear
Technical Support Manager

Mike Lukas

Rename Vault Folder

Post by Mike Lukas » Wed May 23, 2007 5:58 pm

We don't use the VSS model and thus don't check out items. We just edit the files and then merge/commit the changes.

lbauer

Post by lbauer » Wed May 23, 2007 6:42 pm

Locally modified files won't be affected, but you will need to reset folders, as described above.

I'd suggest creating a test repository, adding a few folders and files and testing this out before you try it on a production repository/folder.
Linda Bauer
SourceGear
Technical Support Manager