Suggestions

If you are having a problem using Fortress, post a message here.

Moderator: SourceGear

Aaron Young

Suggestions

Post by Aaron Young » Thu Jun 14, 2007 9:49 am

Is there a more appropriate place to post comments/suggestions?

I'd like to start by saying that for a 1.0 product, Fortress makes a great first impression.

After demoing it for a few days, I came up with the following list of my thoughts for improvements to future releases.

Summaries: Have a Tab for "Type" - This is a major attribute of items, but it's not in the list.

Database Options: Allow defaults to be configured for all fields, right now entry requires a lot more work than seems necessary when you're likely to have a 90% scenario that you could supply defaults for.

Preferences: Add more UI customization, i.e. Start Screen (Items, Source Control or Admin), right now the default is "SourceCode Control" (even if they have no SCC access), a more logical choice would seem to be "Item Tracking".

Navigation: Add some kind of bread-crumb trail, so the user can easily back-track. Right now, you almost always have to select one of the main tabs and start from the beginning. Or have a static frame on the Left/Right that always shows the menu options.

Email: Allow finer control over what should trigger an email to the Assignee/Resolver, i.e. only when the Status field is changed.

Maintenance: Allow for some kind of clean-up maintenance. During my testing I created a mess of an Audit-Trail and there's no way to clean that up (which you could argue is the point of an Audit-Trail), I think the Admin user should have the ability to clean up this history (with appropriate warnings.)

Attachments: I think it would be beneficial if the attachments you associated with a project item could utilize source control versioning. In project design especially there could be a lot of design changes that you'd want to document, but creating a long list of attachments doesn't seem like a very managable way to do this. If attachments could be versioned (and therefore updated) that would offer a much more managable solution.

Milestones: Would be helpful to have an Active/Inactive status on these as there could be many generated over the lifetime of a project - I think DragNet had this?
Aaron Young
Red Wing Software

lbauer

Post by lbauer » Fri Jun 15, 2007 5:09 am

Thank you for your comments and suggestions. I will log them as feature requests.

We're very excited about our new product, Fortress. We are always interested in what we can do to make our product meet the needs of our customers.
Last edited by lbauer on Tue Jun 19, 2007 3:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Linda Bauer
SourceGear
Technical Support Manager

sirkirby

Post by sirkirby » Mon Jun 18, 2007 10:02 am

I would just like to build on some of the great requests made already.

Web interface:

- Add support to allow the item reporter to assign the task to an entire project group, rather than just an individual.

- Make email alert subscriptions more accessible when in the project query views. Perhaps on the right navigation?

- Add the ability to save global and per user item queries. e.g. reports.

Visual Studio 2005 client:

- On check-in, replace the 'mark completed' check box with the ability to change the status of the related item to any defined status.

- On check-in, Add support for associating multiple items.

Thank you,

Chris

lbauer

Post by lbauer » Tue Jun 19, 2007 3:28 pm

Thanks for the suggestions. We'll log these as well.
Linda Bauer
SourceGear
Technical Support Manager