Vault 4.0 causes a LOT of visual studio crashes

This forum is now locked, since Gold Support is no longer offered.

Moderator: SourceGear

bluebsh

Vault 4.0 causes a LOT of visual studio crashes

Post by bluebsh » Fri Jun 22, 2007 7:57 am

well now I am getting 200% more errors in visual studio since 4.0... it seems like when doing stuff in the text editor in vs2005 when the vault pending list is open on the bottom i get a lot of hangs when I right click text selections and random compiler crashes and stuff where the IDE just littearly hangs for a minute then throws a crash report... what changed in 4.0 that makes it hang VS more then it ever did in 3.5? I never had this problem before... (this is completely unrelated i hope to my checkin crash bug i posted about before)

ian_sg

Post by ian_sg » Fri Jun 22, 2007 9:23 am

I'm sorry you're having these problems.

To answer your question about what changed, the 4.0 VS2005 client is a completely new codebase written against a lower-level Visual Studio API. This gives us the freedom to do more than we could using the MSSCCI API as we did in 3.5 and earlier, but also exposes us to all the subtle behavior differences between different project types.

We use the new 2005 IDE client every day and aren't having this problem. The first suspect therefore, on a report like this, is an infrequently used project type that therefore hasn't been as thoroughly tested. Better stability on more project types is currently the top development priority for the 2005 client. In the mean time, using the "2003 compatible client", which is essentially the 3.5 client, is a better option for some teams.

As far as addressing your problem, would you be willing to post the crash report(s) you're seeing? The log should contain them. It doesn't sound like it's related to your other issue, but I could better say if I had a look at the logs. You can email them to me, if you'd prefer.

Thanks,
Ian Olsen
SourceGear

bluebsh

Post by bluebsh » Fri Jun 22, 2007 9:53 am

I'll try logging them later today or monday, have a few things that I need to get done today head of debugging this :)