Relationship Between Fortress and Vault

If you are having a problem using Fortress, post a message here.

Moderator: SourceGear

nemoby

Relationship Between Fortress and Vault

Post by nemoby » Fri Jun 22, 2007 11:03 am

I am a bit confused about the relationship between Vault and Fortress. I realize that on the server side of things, Fortress is a superset of Vault, but I am confused on the client side.

I do work for a client that is currently running Vault 4.x and has a lisense for me. On my down desktop, I run Vault in the single user mode for my own development. I just upgraded my desktop based server to Fortress but now which client do I run on my desktop which needs to connect to Fortress on my end and Vault on my client's side?

I don't seem to be able to connect to Fortress with Vault or vise versa... Is the Fortress client a full source control client or does it only handle the ALM area? Your thoughts and suggestions. Thanks,

jeremy_sg

Post by jeremy_sg » Fri Jun 22, 2007 1:06 pm

If you need to connect to both a Vault server and a Fortress server, you will need to install both a Vault client and a Fortress client. They should both install side by side on the client side. They will use independant working folder settings and cache files.

nemoby

Post by nemoby » Fri Jun 22, 2007 2:55 pm

Jeremy,

Thanks, but I now have both clients installed and not sure how to connect to the Fortress server from within VS2005? I see the Vault client when "adding solution to source control" and I am able to get to the "Fortress" window from View -> Other Windows. Am I missing something?

Thanks again,

-Andy

nemoby

Post by nemoby » Fri Jun 22, 2007 3:00 pm

One more piece of info: If I select Fortress (VS2005) from Tools -> Options as the default source provider, I no longer have any options for Source Control. The menu off of the file menu is missing and right-clicking on my solutino doesn't show "Add to Source Control".

-Andy

nemoby

Post by nemoby » Fri Jun 22, 2007 3:03 pm

Sorry, but maybe disregard my prevous message about missing "Add to source control". I see that it has changed to Add to Fortress.

-A