Soscmd.exe 4.0 crash

If you are having a problem using SourceOffSite, post a message here.

Moderator: SourceGear

tobu100

Soscmd.exe 4.0 crash

Post by tobu100 » Fri Apr 09, 2004 5:08 pm

SOSCMD.EXE 4.0 crashes whenever I use it. The GUI client works flawlessly, and the server I'm communicating with is a 4.0 server.
The crash I'm getting gives the following error message:

The instruction at "0x77fcb032" referenced memory at "0x00000000". The memory could not be "written".

Click OK to terminate
Click CANCEL to debug

Here is a -verbose dump of an example:
c:\program files\sourceoffsite>soscmd -command GetFileList -server <servername> -name <username> -password "" -database <databaselocation>\srcsafe.ini -project $/ -soshome "c:\Documents and Settings\<user>\Application Data\SourceGear\SOS" -verbose

SourceOffSite Command Line Client: 128 bit Encryption version 4.0
Connected to server xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx at port xxxx.
Received Secure Challenge from server
Successfully logged in.
Sending GetFileList Command to server.
exclude.lst
03/10/2004 10:28

excludeP_Drive.lst
04/02/2004 18:32

ZipAvalanche.bat
09/18/2003 09:54

ZipBigJuju.bat
09/18/2003 09:54

ZipP_Drive.bat
02/27/2004 17:18

ZipTak2.bat
03/08/2004 13:47

zipTools.bat
03/12/2004 10:45

zipToolsATS.bat
03/12/2004 10:45

Saving Tree status updates to file.

At this point, the crash dialog pops up.

lbauer

Post by lbauer » Mon Apr 12, 2004 8:32 am

There doesn't seem to be anything wrong with this particular command, since I was able to run it against my own SOS 4.0 server with no crash.

Your previous post indicated you experienced the same problem with the SOS 3.5 client.

According to your description, the command appears to execute correctly but then the Command Line Client crashes. Does this happen with all commands -- for instance, if you try to checkout a file with the CLC, does it get checked out and then the client crashes?

Can you run the CLC from a different machine with no problem?

Can you execute the Getdatbases command (I don't think this one uses the cache file).

Are you using other SOS Clients (IDE or GUI) at the same time as the CLC?

Try using our demo server: sos.sourceoffsite.com:8888. User daffy, password duck. The path to the database is: C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio\VSS\srcsafe.ini. You can view the project tree with the GUI client to select a project.

There might be some information in the log file.

Set the logging to debug:

http://support.sourcegear.com/viewtopic.php?t=463

Then run the operations which are failing and either post a copy of the log or email it to me. Let me know what time in the log corresponds to the CLC crash.
Linda Bauer
SourceGear
Technical Support Manager

tobu100

Post by tobu100 » Mon Apr 12, 2004 1:13 pm

*** According to your description, the command appears to execute correctly but then the Command Line Client crashes. Does this happen with all commands -- for instance, if you try to checkout a file with the CLC, does it get checked out and then the client crashes?

It appears that any command that is updating the databaseX.sos file causes the crash. When a CheckOutFile command is performed, the file is retrieved from the server, locked, then the CLC crashes.

***Can you run the CLC from a different machine with no problem?

I'm currently the only user at our site, so we have not run the CLC on other machines.

***Can you execute the Getdatbases command (I don't think this one uses the cache file).

The GetDatabases command performs correctly with no crash

***Are you using other SOS Clients (IDE or GUI) at the same time as the CLC?

No. No other clients are running at the same time.

***Try using our demo server: sos.sourceoffsite.com:8888. User daffy, password duck. The path to the database is: C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio\VSS\srcsafe.ini. You can view the project tree with the GUI client to select a project.

The CLC performs correctly on your database.

Our VSS database is quite large. The databaseX.sos file is 163,807 bytes. Could the size of the databaseX.sos file have something to do with the crash?

Vivek

Post by Vivek » Mon May 03, 2004 1:17 pm

I'm experiencing the same crash w/ GetProject.

Ex:

SourceOffSite Command Line Client: Standard Edition version 4.0
Connected to server x.x.x.x at port xxxx.
Received Challenge from server
Successfully logged in.
Sending GetProject Command to server.

and this is where it crashes!

-- Was there a resolve to this issue or any suggestions to get around this?

thanks,
Vivek

lbauer

Post by lbauer » Mon May 03, 2004 2:33 pm

I don't think we ever got tobu100's log file, or it may have been sent under an email address that was different than the forum name.

At any rate, Vivek, can you do a Get Project from the SOS GUI client with no problems? If so, try the same troubleshooting steps as suggested earlier in this thread:

Try using our demo server: sos.sourceoffsite.com:8888. User daffy, password duck. The path to the database is: C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio\VSS\srcsafe.ini. You can view the project tree with the GUI client to select a project.

There might be some information in the log file.

Set the logging to debug:

http://support.sourcegear.com/viewtopic.php?t=463

Then run the operations which are failing and either post a copy of the log or email it to me. Let me know what time in the log corresponds to the CLC crash.
Linda Bauer
SourceGear
Technical Support Manager

Vivek

Post by Vivek » Fri May 07, 2004 9:57 am

hi Linda,

so I got a little further..

I do a GetProject from sos.sourceoffsite.com:8888 and it works fine. I think I might have had my soshome specified incorrectly. I don't remember doing much else and GetProject started working.. sort of..

When I do GetProject, files are retrieved but I don't understand why strange filenames ( * beside them) are being requested.

please see the attached output below:

NOTE: This might aid, If I delete(move them into some backup dir) my project's .sos files from c:\docandsettings\user\.. and c:\program files\sourceoffsite, i should be able to pull my project tree from the GUI. but for somereason it just stays stuck with the message that reads something like

"retrieving project tree, this maybe a lenghty process" and i don't get anything..

If i put the .sos files back, the tree comes back and i can do my operations fine throught the GUI.

Also we have 3.5.2 server installed and am using 4.0 client.

=== GetProject output ====

SourceOffSite Command Line Client: Standard Edition version 4.0
Connected to server my.server.com at port 9898.
Received Challenge from server
Successfully logged in.
Sending GetProject Command to server.
Requesting file: PolarQA.build
Got file: C:\main\Polar\start\zzz_demo\LabelTest\sos\PolarQA.build
Requesting file: 1 *
Error: Server response = 401 NoSuchFileOrProject
Requesting file: 03/16/2004 12:20 *
Error: Server response = 400 OperationFailed
Requesting file: *
Requesting file: add_demouser.sql
Got file: C:\main\Polar\start\zzz_demo\LabelTest\SQL\add_demouser.sql
Requesting file: 1
Requesting file: 03/12/2004 13:41 *
Requesting file: *
Requesting file: Polar_w_soshome.build
Got file: C:\main\Polar\start\zzz_demo\LabelTest\toCheckIn\build\Polar_w_soshome.build
Requesting file: 1 *
Requesting file: 03/12/2004 13:41 *
Saving Tree status updates to file.
Closed connection to server my.server.com at port 9898.

Geoff Hall

Post by Geoff Hall » Mon May 10, 2004 12:22 am

Hi people,

I'd like to buy into this discussion becuase I am _recently_ experiencing similar problems. I had been working, more or less successfully, but was not getting communication between SOS (GUI) and SOSCMD. (A file checked out by soscmd was called renegade by sos until I refreshed the file llist. I was hoping they'd both be aware of the changed status.)

After I fixed SOSHOME to point to the new Documents and Settings position ("C:\Documents and Settings\<name>\Application Data\SourceGear\SOS") I still didn't get any SOSCMD<->SOS communication, but when I added -soshome %soshome% to the soscmd command, that's when I got the crash.

Like tobu100, it seems to happen at the end of the command (trying to update databaseX.sos?) I have further info (but no SOSCMD log file in a Word doc ready to send if you need it - but don't want to clutter the forum).

Another thought: might some of these problems be caused when soscmd does it's thing and sos is still running?