Need to allow multiple DIFF programs

This forum is now locked, since Gold Support is no longer offered.

Moderator: SourceGear

djameson

Need to allow multiple DIFF programs

Post by djameson » Mon Jul 30, 2007 1:23 pm

We check in many different kinds of files in Vault (source code, Word Docs, Powerpoint, Excel, etc).
However, when I want to diff two versions of a file, I need to use the appropriate diff tool, which is a function of the filetype....programs intended for comparing Delphi or C++ code are not appropriate for Word and Powerpoint documents.

So I'd like to suggest that you add the ability to let me specify what diff tool to run for specific file types.....the way I would do it is to add "exception" rules, i.e., use the system default (the way Vault works now) UNLESS the file is of type PPT in which case use "....."

David Jameson

GregM

Post by GregM » Mon Jul 30, 2007 4:47 pm

There have been requests for this in the past.

http://support.sourcegear.com/viewtopic.php?t=6251

djameson

Post by djameson » Tue Jul 31, 2007 6:20 am

Well, then, that should raise the priority for such a feature :D

djameson

Post by djameson » Tue Jul 31, 2007 6:38 am

Incidentally, I'd like a similar feature for viewing files....now, you get the choice between using either the associated program for a filetype, or a single program for everything.

I'd like to be able to associate multiple programs with filetypes, because, depending on what I'm doing, I want to be able to choose from several programs...for example, if I have an image stored, I may want to look at it with PhotoShop, Corel, Faststone Image Viewer, or my web browser!

GregM

Post by GregM » Tue Jul 31, 2007 7:45 am

Very soon I'm going to have a need for such a feature as well.

Perhaps the easiest way to handle this would be to create a single diff wrapper program that Vault can call that will handle all of the other stuff of registering multiple diff programs.

Beth

Post by Beth » Wed Aug 01, 2007 3:55 pm

I added the votes to the request for configuring multiple diff/merge tools, and created a new one for listing multiple programs you may want to use for viewing. Thanks for the feedback.