Search to include folder name?

This forum is now locked, since Gold Support is no longer offered.

Moderator: SourceGear

bsihsv

Search to include folder name?

Post by bsihsv » Tue Aug 14, 2007 9:20 am

I love the Vault "Filename Search" feature, but is there a way to include folder names in that search? Sometimes we need to search based on the name of the folder as well as individual files and I could not find a way to do this. If this is not possible, it sure would be a great feature/enhancement to add! (especially on a 50+ GB database like ours)

Thanks!

lbauer

Post by lbauer » Tue Aug 14, 2007 1:38 pm

There's no way to specify a parent folder name in the search -- I can log this as a feature request.

The repository path column shows the full path, and is sortable, so that might help locating the specific file you need in the meantime.
Linda Bauer
SourceGear
Technical Support Manager

Beth

Post by Beth » Tue Aug 14, 2007 1:39 pm

I've taken a feature request for that. Thanks for the feedback.

I'm assuming that you don't easily see the folder you need to select for running the search in. Otherwise, I'd suggest selecting the folder you need it to be in and then run the search.

bsihsv

Post by bsihsv » Tue Aug 14, 2007 1:50 pm

Right. Basically what I would like to be able to do is do a recursive search from the top level ("$") and find all folder names and filenames that contain the search term. This way any reference to the search term in any folders or filenames would be easy to find. Currently we have 7700+ folders in the repository and it is ever-increasing, so searching this way would help out a lot.

One other really nice search feature would be to search the history notes for specific terms, but that might not be possible with a reasonable level of performance. Certainly worth mentioning if we are listing possible future features though.

Thanks for the quick responses and hope to see at least the first option as a future feature.

GregM

Post by GregM » Tue Aug 14, 2007 4:18 pm

bsihsv wrote:One other really nice search feature would be to search the history notes for specific terms, but that might not be possible with a reasonable level of performance. Certainly worth mentioning if we are listing possible future features though.
There is a "comments" tab in the History Query dialog for this.

bsihsv

Post by bsihsv » Wed Aug 15, 2007 6:34 am

Ah...cool. Sorry about that then. I did not realize that.

Thanks!