Client error when moving a folder

If you are having a problem using Fortress, post a message here.

Moderator: SourceGear

sirkirby

Client error when moving a folder

Post by sirkirby » Mon Aug 20, 2007 4:15 pm

I've having a recurring problem with moving folders that is so bad, that when it occurs, i literally have to delete all of my settings from the local app data to get the client to function properly. please help! here is what happening...

1. I attempt to move a folder in the windows client.
2. I receive an error saying that the traction failed because it or one of its children is checked out... I have verified that this is not the case.
3. The client shows that the move was successful in the tree view. However, if i navigate the code repository on the web interface, it still shows as unmoved/unchanged.
4. I begin receiving object reference errors on the client...my assumption is that is due to the client caching false information.
5. Since the client and the server are out of sync due to the error, my only recourse has been to delete my setting/cache...refreshing in the client does nothing.

I'm using the 1.0.4 client and the 1.0.3 server (was told by support not to bother with a 1.0.4 server upgrade)

At this point, I have to say that I'm quite disappointed in the amount of bugs/issues i've personally encountered with the product since release. So much so, there we've had to keep most of the team off the product until they can be resolved.

Chris

ian_sg

Post by ian_sg » Mon Aug 20, 2007 4:23 pm

Does the web (admin) client list a checkout that would be causing the initial message?
Ian Olsen
SourceGear

sirkirby

Post by sirkirby » Mon Aug 20, 2007 4:30 pm

No, there is no indication when navigating to the folder and files in the web interface that anything is checked out... actually, i didn't even know you could see the check out status of a file on the web site.

ian_sg

Post by ian_sg » Tue Aug 21, 2007 6:44 am

You can't. But under the admin tab, for each repository, there's a list of all checkouts within that repository. Is there a checkout listed there that could be causing that initial message?
Ian Olsen
SourceGear

sirkirby

Post by sirkirby » Tue Aug 21, 2007 10:11 am

yes, t appears to be listing checkouts from a folder that was deleted, though is has the same name as the folder in question.

ian_sg

Post by ian_sg » Tue Aug 21, 2007 10:34 am

Undoing those checkouts (via the admin web interface) should get things working normally again.

We're trying to reproduce this to figure out what's happening and how we can fix it. Can you tell me if the folder in question is directly beneath the root?

Like this:

$/FolderBehavingBadly

as opposed to this:

$/[0..n folders]/FolderBehavingBadly
Ian Olsen
SourceGear

sirkirby

Post by sirkirby » Tue Aug 21, 2007 12:29 pm

Thank you! doing that did allow me to move the directory without error.

Its is about 5 directories beneath the root...I had a problem with this same directory before, which is why i had deleted it. So, i guess the mystery is, how was i able to delete a directory with checked out files? Strange issue.

Chris