Server 4.0.4 Installation and SQL Server Integration

If you are having a problem using Vault, post a message here.

Moderator: SourceGear

KCraver

Server 4.0.4 Installation and SQL Server Integration

Post by KCraver » Thu Sep 06, 2007 8:41 am

Hello. I’m trying to install Vault 4.0.4 for the trial period as we would like to switch from Source Safe. On two computers now I’ve had difficulty installing Vault Server when it comes time to configure it for integration with SQL Server. The error message I get reads :

SQL Connection Failed. Unable to connect to SQL.

An error has occurred while establishing a connection to the server. When connecting to SQL Server 2005, this failure may be caused by the fact that under the default settings SQL Server does not allow remote connections (Named Pipes Provider, error: 40 – Could not open a connection to SQL Server)

I have been using SQL Server Express, is this a problem? I have verified that Named Pipes and TCPIP providers are both enabled in SQL Server, that SQL Server will allow remote connections, that both the SQL Server and SQL Browser services are running, that SQL Server is configured for Windows Authentication, that the current Windows user is a SQL Server Administrator, and that the Windows Firewall is disabled.

I am attempting to configure Vault to use Windows Authentication for integrating with SQL Server. My IIS process and SQL Server services run under the System user.

Any input as to what I am overlooking or what I should try next would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

KCraver

Post by KCraver » Thu Sep 06, 2007 8:43 am

Both machines are running Windows XP Pro SP2, BTW.

Beth

Post by Beth » Thu Sep 06, 2007 11:09 am

I received this issue in an email as well and am working on this. Please check your email for my responses.

jsterner

I'm having the same exact problem

Post by jsterner » Fri Sep 07, 2007 5:12 am

Windows 2003 Server standard, SQL Server 2005 Express, Vault 4.0.4, Vault Server and SQL server both on same machine. Had things working smoothly on another server using SQL Server 2005 Standard, trying to move databases to new server.

Have tried everything stated in original post as well. Am unable to connect using Windows authentication or SQL Server authentication. Please post response or send to my email address:

jsterner1@rcn.com.

Thanks

Jeff Sterner
Spectralocity Inc.

KCraver

Post by KCraver » Fri Sep 07, 2007 7:09 am

Beth helped me solve this via e-mail.

I think the issue was basically my inexperience with SQL Server. :oops: The solution was to input the connection string to SQL Server during Vault installation in the format [machine name]\sqlexpress.

Using dev1\sqlexpress when installing Vault worked for me. Thanks, Beth!

Hopefully your issue is as quick to fix as mine was.

Beth

Post by Beth » Fri Sep 07, 2007 12:25 pm

jsterner: Try next what KCraver mentioned in his last post and let me know the results.

jsterner

THanks, solution works.

Post by jsterner » Mon Sep 10, 2007 4:47 am

Ah, the caveats of named instances :) Thanks!