Problem accessing Vault from Vault Client or Admin

This forum is now locked, since Gold Support is no longer offered.

Moderator: SourceGear

mraming

Problem accessing Vault from Vault Client or Admin

Post by mraming » Wed Sep 12, 2007 4:35 am

I'm running Windows Vista (Ultimate) with all the latest patches with the Vault 3.1.9 (3798) client and admin tool.

I discovered yesterday that I can no longer connect to my Vault server from my laptop. From other systems, everything works just fine.
From the laptop that has the problem, I can access the https://hostname.domainname.com/VaultService/ page just fine. Also, when I go to http://hostname.domainname.com/VaultSer ... rvice.asmx I get a list of all the web methods as one would expect.
In Internet Explorer, I have no proxy server configured, no automatic configuration script and no automatically detect settings.
I have attached screenshots of the IE proxy settings, Vault Error Message and Vault Client network settings.

I used WireShark to monitor the network traffic on my NIC:When I try to connect to Vault using the Vault Client, I see no traffic related to that! No DNS requests, no HTTP requests...

To make things even stranger: Vault Integration from Visual Studio 2005 continues to works just fine!

Urgent help is greatly appreciated!
Attachments
proxysettings.gif
IE Proxy Settings
proxysettings.gif (15.21 KiB) Viewed 7969 times
Vault Error.gif
Vault error message
Vault Error.gif (9.21 KiB) Viewed 7969 times
vault network settings.gif
Vault network settings
vault network settings.gif (21.48 KiB) Viewed 7969 times

Beth

Post by Beth » Wed Sep 12, 2007 7:47 am

Vault is not supported on Vista until version 3.5.2. I can make suggestions, but I can't guarantee that 3.1.9 will work on Vista.

Can you open your Vault client without connecting to the server (just hit cancel) and go to Help - Technical Support and copy the information from there to me?

Then, so that I get the full environment information, can you go to a client that works (doesn't have to be on Vista), open Vault, connect to the server, and then select Help - Technical Support and copy that information to me as well?

When you are working in Visual Studio 2005, you are able to check out, make changes and check the file back in?

mraming

Technical Support info

Post by mraming » Wed Sep 12, 2007 1:19 pm

First of all, please note that the Vault Client and Admin tool have worked correctly on this Vista laptop for 8 months or so.

Also, under Visual Studio 2005, I can successfully get the latest version of a file, check out a file, edit it and check it back in successfully. Also things like compare work as expected (I'm using Araxis as the diff tool).

From the technical support information below, I noticed a slightly different (more recent) version of the .Net framework on the Vista box. Could a recent hotfix cause this? In light of this, when using Vault as the SCC provider under VS.Net 2005, which version of the .Net framework is being used by the SCC provider?

The requested technical support information from the Vista system that exposes the problem:

Client Information
Vault Client Version: 3.1.9.3798
.Net Framework Version: 1.1.4322.573
Operating System: Microsoft® Windows Vista™ Ultimate
Service Pack: 0.0
OS Version: 6.0.6000
Total Physical Memory: 3 GB
Time Zone: (GMT+01:00) Amsterdam, Berlin, Bern, Rome, Stockholm, Vienna

Server Information
Server version information unavailable

License Information
License information unavailable

The Technical support information from an other system where the client works:

Client Information
.Net Framework Version: 1.1.4322.2407
Operating System: Microsoft(R) Windows(R) Server 2003, Enterprise Edition
Service Pack: 2.0
OS Version: 5.2.3790
Total Physical Memory: 1023.45 MB

Server Information
Server version information unavailable

License Information
License information unavailable

Beth

Post by Beth » Wed Sep 12, 2007 2:01 pm

I actually wanted to see what version of the .NET framework your Vault server is using as well as that could make a difference here. On the second one, you opened a client on what looks to be maybe the server, but didn't allow it to connect to the server side of Vault. Please allow it to connect and supply the server information portion. The server side could be using the 2.0 .NET framework.

I have had one user so far that needed to have the service packs matching. The .NET framework ending in .573 is the original version with no updates. Here is an article mentioning the versions and what they are: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/318785

Once we verify the version the server portion of Vault is using, it may be worthwhile to update the 1.1 .NET framework on your Vista machine.

Just let me know the results.

mraming

Installation of .Net framework SP 1 resolved the issue

Post by mraming » Thu Sep 13, 2007 1:27 am

I installed the .Net framework SP 1 and this resolved the issue. For completeness, the tech. supoort information from the Vista machine after the installation:

Client Information
.Net Framework Version: 1.1.4322.2032
Operating System: Microsoft® Windows Vista™ Ultimate
Service Pack: 0.0
OS Version: 6.0.6000
Total Physical Memory: 3 GB

Server Information
Vault Server Version: 3.1.9.3798
.Net Framework Version: 1.1.4322.2407
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 2000 Server
Service Pack: 4.0
OS Version: 5.0.2195
Timezone: (GMT+01:00) Amsterdam, Berlin, Bern, Rome, Stockholm, Vienna
SQL Version: Microsoft SQL Server 2000 - 8.00.760 (Intel X86)
Dec 17 2002 14:22:05
Copyright (c) 1988-2003 Microsoft Corporation
Enterprise Edition on Windows NT 5.0 (Build 2195: Service Pack 4)

License Information
2 serial number(s):
1 of 2: 1 users, permanent
2 of 2: 10 users, permanent