4.0.5 Error: $/XXXXXXX already exists

If you are having a problem using Vault, post a message here.

Moderator: SourceGear

gmagana

4.0.5 Error: $/XXXXXXX already exists

Post by gmagana » Wed Nov 07, 2007 10:54 am

(Disclaimer: I use Fortress, but I keep posting these things in the Vault forums since it involves functionality that applies to version control... Please let me know if I should post this in the Fortress forums)

I was moving some files around in the source control, and somehow my client got into this weird state where it will not start up... I can probably get rid of the problem by deleting my working folder and re-obtaining everything from the server, but the problem is that I have a rather big and important check-in to do, so I would like to avoid that if at all possible (after I can check this stuff in, I'll gladly get rid of my working folder and re-fetch everything).

In a nutshell, fortress insists there is a folder in the source control that "already exists" and that is about all I know about the problem, since the error message is extremely vague.

Attached are two screenshots: One of the error I get when running the client, and another of the web client that shows that the folder does not already exist in the server.

Anyway, I guess this is several bug reports at once: 1) The issue at hand, I have no idea what Fortress is complaining about since I can get no more info about the error other than the error message; 2) After I dismiss the error box the client window is empty and selecting any menu option gives me a "object reference no set" error, probably because of an incomplete system initialization

What did I do to get myself into this mess? Hmmm, I was moving folders from one parent directory to another via the client and making code changes to accomodate the move in the VS2005 IDE (2005 Client). It all appeared to work ok, and I changed my code in the VS2005 IDE to correct references, etc... The problem is that I cannot check in (not even if I select to check in only the modified source files, not involved in the file move).

Sorry if this is vague, I really have no idea what is going on...

What can I try now?
Attachments
FortressError.gif
The client error
FortressError.gif (28.59 KiB) Viewed 3082 times
FortressError2.gif
"Proof" that the folder does not already exist
FortressError2.gif (7.56 KiB) Viewed 3082 times
gabriel magana-gonzalez

jeremy_sg

Post by jeremy_sg » Wed Nov 07, 2007 11:36 am

Gabriel,

It's possible that you have two move operations pended to the same target. Look at your pending change set.

It would also be helpful to have a client side log of the error. See http://support.sourcegear.com/viewtopic.php?p=5375 to turn on logging.

gmagana

Post by gmagana » Wed Nov 07, 2007 11:41 am

That's just the problem, I can't get to the pending change set, since this error occurs at login time, and from that point on nothing works on the client. After that error occurs I cannot get the client to display anything at all.

Attempting to do anything on the VS2005 client pops up a window that says "transaction failed, look at the message pane," except there is no message pane in VS2005 (or is there? Where can I find it?)
gabriel magana-gonzalez

jeremy_sg

Post by jeremy_sg » Wed Nov 07, 2007 12:42 pm

Mail me your phone number using the button below this post, please.

jeremy_sg

Post by jeremy_sg » Wed Nov 07, 2007 1:39 pm

Gabriel has already backed out the changes, but he's trying to duplicate the problem so that SourceGear can track it down.