Suggestion: Make Obliterate Recursive!

This forum is now locked, since Gold Support is no longer offered.

Moderator: SourceGear

davenovak

Suggestion: Make Obliterate Recursive!

Post by davenovak » Thu Feb 08, 2007 1:47 pm

I’m using the latest version of Vault (3.5.1) and was rather surprised to see that Obliterate has no option to work recursively. I’m not sure what the thinking was here, but that makes it very difficult to keep a clean database.

I would like to see at least the option to search for deleted files (from a given starting folder) and be able to selectively mark all or some of these files for obliteration.

Please consider adding this to your next release.

Thanks.

Beth

Post by Beth » Thu Feb 08, 2007 5:29 pm

We have a feature request in on that. I'll add your "vote".

prevoj

Please provide some relief on Obliterate!!!

Post by prevoj » Mon Nov 12, 2007 12:30 pm

We really enjoy using Vault EXCEPT for Obliterate. We spend a huge amount of time walking the source tree looking for things to Obliterate to try and keep our database to a manageable size and to meet contract requirements. It takes even longer now with the web-based admin in 4.0.x.

I know some people consider Obliterate one of those "Don't ever use this" type things but that is not the case for us. By a contract we have, we often must make sure we get rid of things that are deleted so that they can't easily be recovered.

I propose 3 solutions (in order of preference), any one of which we will thank you for profusely!

1) When you show the tree in Obilterate, only show nodes that contain deleted items
2) Add an option to make Obilterate recursive
3) A simple report showing delete items that we can look at in another window while we walk the tree and obilterate things without you changing how Obilterate works at all.

Option 3 hopefully shows you how desperate we are for any solution...
Joe

Beth

Post by Beth » Mon Nov 12, 2007 4:17 pm

I can take down those details for a request. One thing you might want to consider is making yourself a script to run an obliterate at night. The command is detailed here: Obliterate

Also, is it feasible in your situation, prevoj, to have a separate repository for some of these things that you know you are going to get rid of? That might be especially good for large things. When you delete a repository, it's just gone for good much like an obliterate. The one problem there might be if you have a lot of things shared between all projects. Sharing can't be done across repositories.