SourceGear Vault Windows Client has encountered a problem ..

This forum is now locked, since Gold Support is no longer offered.

Moderator: SourceGear

teutenfw

SourceGear Vault Windows Client has encountered a problem ..

Post by teutenfw » Sat Nov 17, 2007 12:53 am

Vault client 4.0.4 has been running fine until recently. Now it displays the following text every time I attempt to start the client.. "SourceGear Vault Windows Client has encountered a problem and needs to close"

I have attempted reinstalling.
I have attempted uninstalling and reinstalling.
I have attempted uninstalling and installing latest 4.0.5 client.
I have attempted uninstalling, manually cleaning any SourceGear Vault registry entries, and installing latest 4.0.5 client.

I have attempted uninstalling Visual Studio 6.0, uninstalling vault client, and reinstalling everything. No joy.

Please help!
Attachments
soucegear_vault_error.jpg
Image of error
soucegear_vault_error.jpg (21.04 KiB) Viewed 16726 times

lbauer

Post by lbauer » Sat Nov 17, 2007 3:46 pm

Try clearing out the client side cache files:
http://support.sourcegear.com/viewtopic.php?t=6

I'd suggest renaming the Vault_1 directory; then Vault will create a new one.

If this still doesn't help, there may be a problem with the .NET Framework on the client machine. Try re-installing .NET Framework.
Linda Bauer
SourceGear
Technical Support Manager

teutenfw

.NET Runtime Error Event 1023

Post by teutenfw » Sat Nov 17, 2007 5:47 pm

.NET Runtime version 2.0.50727.42 - Fatal Execution Engine Error (7A05E2B3) (80131506)

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.

1) I have deleted cache files, they are not recreated because SourceGear app does not get that far, crashes almost immediately
2) I have manually and completely uninstalled .NET 2.0 and then reinstalled per Microsoft KB
3) Before AND After uninstall and reinstall of .NET 2.0 Framework this Event 1023 appears in the Event Viewer Application Log each time I attempt to start the Vault Client
4) This bug appears to ONLY affect the Vault Client program and not other applications that use .NET 2.0 Framework
5) After reinstalling .NET 2.0 Framework I have also attempted to remedy problem by uninstalling and reinstalling Vault Client, still no joy!

Please help!!

jclausius

Post by jclausius » Mon Nov 19, 2007 11:41 am

I'm not sure this helps, but see if something here solves the problem - http://support.microsoft.com/kb/913384

I'm not certain this will help, but in you Local Application data directory, there will be some Vault start up and configuration files. Perhaps you could temporarily rename the parent folders before running Vault to see if that has any kind of effect.

The other thing that might help is try to narrow down when the problem started to changes that may have been made to your environment. If Vault was working correctly at one time what has changed on your machine which is now causing the problem?
Jeff Clausius
SourceGear

teutenfw

Post by teutenfw » Tue Nov 20, 2007 9:33 am

I have been thru that Microsoft KB which does discuss one of the two errors SourceGear vault is causing. Unfortunately it did NOT resolve the problem. This seems clearly some issue between SG Vault and the .NET 2.0 Framework. I have literally tried everything I can think of or find to try short of rebuilding the PC, several days worth of effort here.

The Vault worked fine on this PC until very recently.

The only thing I know I installed recently is Symantec Antivirus Endpoint Protection v11. I have wondered if this is related. I have disabled the realtime protection many times during my various reinstalls of SG Vault and 2.0 Framework which has NOT made a difference to date. If I had the time I might uninstall the Symantec product and try again but at this point it will be easier to simply rebuild the PC from scratch.

Nothing personal but I am a bit disappointed in the Gold support. Two slow responses that did not come close to resolving the issue. If this problem occurs again I will be forced to abandon the SG Vault product and purchase something else for my development team.

jclausius

Post by jclausius » Tue Nov 20, 2007 10:28 am

Since Vault was working before, it is difficult to trouble shoot these issues especially there is not enough information on the exact configuration of your environment. Things get even more convoluted when the problem is in the internals of the .NET Framework.

The thread did not have a lot of information, but if you have more Event Viewer Errors and perhaps some client side logging we could see if the problem was related to Vault or related to Windows starting up Vault as a .NET process.
Jeff Clausius
SourceGear

teutenfw

Post by teutenfw » Tue Nov 20, 2007 7:08 pm

I already provided the Event View error (1023), the only one that appears. Perhaps you should reread the thread. I expected SourceGear tech support would have requested some specific additional information, i.e. a SG specific log file perhaps, but in three responses over many days no one from SG has.

jclausius

Post by jclausius » Wed Nov 21, 2007 7:54 am

Fair enough. Let's try one thing, and if that doesn't work we can try to see what we can get with some sort of client logging.

1) After booting into a clean configuration, go into the registry while logged into the Windows Account for the user trying Vault. Look for the HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\SourceGear\Vault\Settings key. Rename the key "settings" to some other name.

Next go to the SourceGear\Vault_1\ directory for your local app data files. rename Vault_1\ to a different name.

Try restarting Vault GUI client. Same error?

2) Do you have a secondary Windows account to use on this machine? If so, and you log in, does Vault work if you start from the other account?

3) Is there another machine for which Vault works? If so, what does Help -> Tech Support report. Also, what info from the client information can be supplied about the machine where Vault does not run.

Next go into the VaultGUIClient.exe.config file. Look at enabling logging for all classes ( See Client-Side Logging for more information ), and restart the Vault GUI client. Is a file even being generated?

I'm not confident this logging will work as you cannot seem to launch the Vault application, but it won't hurt to see if the .NET Framework is providing the Vault assembly enough steam to achieve some kind of logging.
Last edited by jclausius on Wed Nov 21, 2007 8:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jeff Clausius
SourceGear

jclausius

Post by jclausius » Wed Nov 21, 2007 8:21 am

Note, the SourceGear offices will be closed on Thursday and Friday, re-opening on Monday. I don't know if you'll see the posts until later as I think there may be some time zone issues in play.

We'll try respond to this thread during off-hours over the next few days in order to help you figure out what is going on.
Jeff Clausius
SourceGear

teutenfw

Post by teutenfw » Fri Nov 23, 2007 7:20 am

Jeff,

Answers to your questions below denoted by >>> and please see conclusion below.

1) After booting into a clean configuration, go into the registry while logged into the Windows Account for the user trying Vault. Look for the HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\SourceGear\Vault\Settings key. Rename the key "settings" to some other name.

Next go to the SourceGear\Vault_1\ directory for your local app data files. rename Vault_1\ to a different name.

Try restarting Vault GUI client. Same error?
>>> Yes, same error. I actually have tried the second part of this previously per the early part of this thread. As before no difference in behavior. I expected the Vault_1 to be recreated but apparently the client bombs before it gets far enough. The client bombs instantaneously.

2) Do you have a secondary Windows account to use on this machine? If so, and you log in, does Vault work if you start from the other account?
>>> Yes, and I have tried this without success. Local administrator account does not work, nor does another local account with administrator privledges. As I googled the error it seemed a few others reported similar errors with different .NET 2.0 applications... due to user context. So for grins I added this PC to a domain and attempted to use a domain login that was granted local admin privledges, but again no joy.

3) Is there another machine for which Vault works? If so, what does Help -> Tech Support report. Also, what info from the client information can be supplied about the machine where Vault does not run.
>>> Vault works on all other machines for my development team. As I posted in this thread, Vault even worked fine on this machine until recently. SOMETHING happened, seemingly related to the DOT NET 2.0 Framework, that is preventing SG Vault from working. As previously posted, the last thing I installed before noticing the vault issue was Symantec Antivirus End Point Compliance v11... I have no idea if this is related in any way.

>>> CONCLUSION
After several days of troubleshooting before posting here and then several more days of no progress with Gold Support, I could not suffer any more downtime or invest any more of my time. So I backed up my files, formatted by hard drive, and rebuilt my PC. At the moment everything is working including the SG Vault. Complete mystery. I am hopeful this is an isolated event because this would not be a viable solution were this to affect more PCs, i.e. all my developers. I hope I am the only SG Vault user who ever experiences this issue. If not, I hope the information contained in this thread will help someone actually solve this problem.

jclausius

Post by jclausius » Fri Nov 23, 2007 4:53 pm

Unfortunately you're the only one I've seen encounter something like this. There wasn't much case history to work with. And things were compounded in that this seemed to be in the bootstrap part of the .NET process.

Sorry we couldn't have been of more assistance.
Jeff Clausius
SourceGear