Change made on Share2 not seen by Diff in Share1

This forum is now locked, since Gold Support is no longer offered.

Moderator: SourceGear

Tri

Change made on Share2 not seen by Diff in Share1

Post by Tri » Mon Nov 26, 2007 4:15 pm

Server & Client 3.53

I've made a small test and not sure how to interpret the results, Can you please help:

1. $/MyProject/Config folder is shared to $/MyProjectShare
(the Config folder has File1.txt)

2. Check out, Edit and add a line "Some Changes ..." in $/MyProjectShare/Config/File1.txt

3. Vault Client displays $/MyProject/Config/File1.txt as checked out. Which is expected.

4. Check in $/MyProjectShare/Config/File1.txt
Version number is in sync and Diff shows no difference.

5. Vault Client displays $/MyProject/Config/File1.txt now has status "Old" with Local version number having one version behind the remote version. This is also expected.

6. Right click $/MyProject/Config/File1.txt and select "Show Differences", there is no difference. I thought it would display the changes made in Step 2.
NOTE: the Diff tool compare $/MyProject/Config/File1.txt with the version BEFORE the change made in Step2 that is why it reported no difference.

Question: Is there any reason for a file showing no difference while having an Old Status? When history, remote version, and the shared copy showed that the file has been updated.

Beth

Post by Beth » Mon Nov 26, 2007 5:35 pm

It's old because the version on disk is the previous version than what is in the repository. If you diff against the previous version in the repository, it takes the working folder version for the diff and they will match, yet it still is a version behind the latest version in Vault.

Tri

Post by Tri » Tue Nov 27, 2007 10:48 am

Beth wrote:It's old because the version on disk is the previous version than what is in the repository. If you diff against the previous version in the repository, it takes the working folder version for the diff and they will match, yet it still is a version behind the latest version in Vault.
I think I know why the status is "old" because of the difference in version number between local and remote. And because of that I wanted to see the differences between the two versions.

In Vault client File1.txt is displayed as:
Local version = 8
Remote Version = 9
Status = Old

I just right click and select Show Differences to check what is new in the remote version. I expected to see the differences. However, Vault client reported no difference that was what puzzled me. Vault client decided on its own to compare the file on disk against the previous version.

So let me rephrase the question: In this scenario, why did Vault opt to compare the file on disk against the previous version in the repository?

When you see a file status as "Old", can you recommend a way to see the differences between local / remote?

GregM

Post by GregM » Tue Nov 27, 2007 12:00 pm

Sounds like you have your "show differences" option set to default to last version retrieved from the repository instead of latest version in the repository.

Tri

Post by Tri » Tue Nov 27, 2007 12:32 pm

GregM wrote:Sounds like you have your "show differences" option set to default to last version retrieved from the repository instead of latest version in the repository.
Thanks Greg, you nailed it. I changed the option to "Diff against current version in repository" and was able to see the difference as expected.

I didn't play enough around these Diff options. The two possible options are:

1- Diff against the last version retrieved from the repository
2- Diff against current version in repository

Seems like they describes the same action. May be the wording needs some clarification.

After reading the help file, I understand that the 1st option means the baseline version (in the Vault Client cache stored locally I assume?) That is why it could not see the newer version in the repository which was checked in from the other share.