Request: Apply Change from Right in 2-way diff window

Support for our DiffMerge utility.

Moderator: SourceGear

hypert

Request: Apply Change from Right in 2-way diff window

Post by hypert » Wed Nov 28, 2007 11:37 pm

When do a simple 2-way diff, there is an option to "Apply Change from Left", to modify the window on the right. Since I usually launch DiffMerge from Explorer, the file on the right is always the one "last" in Explorer.

This isn't always the file I'd like to merge changes into, so could we have an option to "Apply Change from Right"?

This would help a LOT!

Thanks.

jeffhostetler

This is an open debate topic internally.

Post by jeffhostetler » Thu Nov 29, 2007 9:16 am

We made this version edit to the right/center as a way of focusing attention on the edit panel. That is, we went for the paradigm of editing one file with the other 1 or 2 panels as reference. An earlier version of the program allowed editing in all panels and we had lots of complains about it being confusing -- as in, i have 3 editable files what am i supposed to do... (i'm glossing over the details, but that was the essence of it).

I think the "Swap" feature in your other post would be the best middle ground. That is, you probably don't want to be sending changes both (all 3) directions in one edit session, right? You just want to edit the file that happens to be in the "wrong" panel?

jeff hostetler

hypert

OK

Post by hypert » Thu Nov 29, 2007 6:59 pm

I understand. The swapping seems like a better solution. Thanks!