Caching Bug / constantly asking to add file

This forum is now locked, since Gold Support is no longer offered.

Moderator: SourceGear

GuyH

Caching Bug / constantly asking to add file

Post by GuyH » Fri Nov 30, 2007 8:23 am

We switched our project to use the vs2005 vsip client.

its very good, however i have an annoying bug with it...

whenever i go to checkin at solution level it prompts me to add a control that is already part of one of the projects. in my solution explorer there is no status icon next to it.

i have completely deleted the solution from my machine and got from vault again, but it still creeps in!

the file is already part of the project and appears ok for everyone else.

i can see the file(s) in vault client perfectly.

i even went so far as to delete the files from the project in vault and readd them myself. this made no difference.

btw - the problem occurs when i checkin at project level, so it must be project specific.

what is going on here?

Beth

Post by Beth » Fri Nov 30, 2007 8:58 am

Rather than deleting the item, could you try an unbind and rebind of your entire solution? Make sure you have a full copy on disk. Then go to Change Bindings and unbind everything. Click OK, after that. Double check your project and if you don't have that other project there, add it in from disk now. Then go to Change Bindings again and rebind everything.

Then let me know the results.

GuyH

Post by GuyH » Fri Nov 30, 2007 10:39 am

that did not work

the control now appears with a plus sign next to it indicating that it is new to the project :roll:

is there some kind of cache that i can clear?

Beth

Post by Beth » Fri Nov 30, 2007 1:29 pm

Did that project not show up as an item to bind to Vault?

You can clear the cache, but I'm not convince that would fix this. Do you know if there are any pending checkins from anyone on that project? In particular, I'm looking for renames and deletes.

Since you mentioned it, here is additional information on the cache: Client Side Cache
I have my instructions for clearing the cache here: Clear Client Side Cache

GuyH

Post by GuyH » Mon Dec 03, 2007 3:46 am

the project is fine. its one control that is showing as not bound but is actually part of the project.

im not convinced that you understand fully. :?

i have attached 3 pictures.

pending.gif - this is in visual studio and shows that i have a 'new file' to add.
solution.gif - this also shows that the file is a pending add.
vaultclient.gif - this shows that another user has the file checked out and is working on it.

so why does it seem to think that i need to add it????????
i have wiped my local and got from source over 3 times now and it does not make a difference.
Attachments
vaultclient.gif
vaultclient.gif (13.59 KiB) Viewed 17410 times
pending.gif
pending.gif (11.38 KiB) Viewed 17410 times
solution.gif
solution.gif (4.48 KiB) Viewed 17410 times

ian_sg

Post by ian_sg » Mon Dec 03, 2007 8:58 am

This is indeed strange behavior, particularly since it's only happening for you.
Another thing to check would be your working folder assignments. You can use the command-line client to get a list of all your working folder assignments:

Code: Select all

vault.exe listworkingfolders -host <serverName> -user <userName> -password <password> -repository <repositoryName>
Is there an assignment in here within the solution folders that might be confusing the client? In particular, is there a spurious assignment on $/Red/Red/widgetgraphs? On a machine that doesn't have this problem, do the working folder assignments relevant to this solution look different?

If you delete the pending adds from the pending change window, what happens?

If nothing turns up there, would you mind turning on client-side logging for VS 2005 and sending it to me? Ideally I'd like it to include whatever steps you're taking for it to end up in this pending add state. You can email it to ian at sourcegear dot com.

Thanks.
Ian Olsen
SourceGear

GuyH

Post by GuyH » Mon Dec 03, 2007 9:11 am

if i delete it from the pending adds, then the icon next to the file disappears.

then later on 'hey presto' it wants to add them again.

is there anyway to get this working folder list in readable format?

xml based output in a command window isnt very useful.

i tried echo .> log.txt appended on the end but that just returned false in xml based output into the file :?

i did a search on the output and there is no reference to the widgetgraphs folder whatsoever. could this be the issue?

if i choose 'explore working folder' from vault client it opens up the relevant directory on my pc.

'show differences' returns 'the files are identical'

ian_sg

Post by ian_sg » Mon Dec 03, 2007 10:20 am

XML output is the only options from the command line client. We attempted to make it a "readable" XML, so it would work nicely for both humans and machines. You can direct it to a file (in cmd.exe) as follows:

vault.exe ... > file.txt
If you're seeing false for success, there's a problem with your command and there should be an error message saying what it is.

It's probably not significant that widgetgraphs doesn't appear in the list, but I can't say for sure without knowing the disk layout and repository layout of your solution. The log would include that, or you could try to describe it to me.

Is the problematic project in a different location on disk, relative to other projects? E.g., something like this:

c:\solution
c:\solution\goodProject1
c:\solution\goodProject2
c:\someOtherFolder\badProject
Ian Olsen
SourceGear

GuyH

Post by GuyH » Mon Dec 03, 2007 10:28 am

ok thanks for the tip.

the layout is simple, solution folder with all projects inside (see attached picture).

the offending item is in the red project. (in a folder called widgetsgraphs)
Attachments
layout.gif
layout.gif (3.38 KiB) Viewed 17386 times

ian_sg

Post by ian_sg » Mon Dec 03, 2007 11:31 am

Have you been enable to turn on the logging? I can't think of anything else to check now, without seeing the log.
Ian Olsen
SourceGear

GuyH

Post by GuyH » Tue Dec 04, 2007 3:36 am

ill turn the logging on and email it to you later today Ian.

GuyH

Post by GuyH » Tue Dec 04, 2007 6:38 am

the only place i can find to turn logging on is on the server.

i dont really want to do this do i?

i gather there is a client option somewhere?

ian_sg

Post by ian_sg » Tue Dec 04, 2007 8:42 am

I'm sorry, I thought I had linked it above. The instructions are here. You want to follow the Visual Studio 2005 section.
Ian Olsen
SourceGear