Feature Idea: Client IDE / Add-In for DB Object Mgt.

If you are having a problem using Vault, post a message here.

Moderator: SourceGear

jfuex

Feature Idea: Client IDE / Add-In for DB Object Mgt.

Post by jfuex » Thu Dec 06, 2007 7:17 pm

I am currently evaluating vault along with a number of competing SCM systems and one feature that I think would be an EXCELLENT competitive advantage in this busy marketplace would be a client IDE or add-in for popular database tools (such as SQL Server Enterprise Manager) to support managing source code for database objects.

In theory this isn't a massively complicated feature since you can script out to simple ANSI text most database objects anyway with a few simple SQL commands. I do have a third party product that integrates SourceSafe with MS SQL, but I am pretty sure that will break if we switch to another solution. I am suprised that I haven't found any SCM solutions that address this since most development shops have a significant amount of code wrapped up in DB objects like functions and Stored procedures. Plus it doesn't hurt to have table and view definitions under version control either. Anyone else with me?

Just my 2 cents. Take it or leave it.

StuartHemming

Post by StuartHemming » Fri Dec 07, 2007 1:37 am

It wouldn't take the brains of an archbishop to do this yourself though, would it? I mean, of course, the saving the objects to Vault as text, not the writing the AddIn.
Stuart
Using Fortress 2.04 (18845)

jfuex

Post by jfuex » Fri Dec 07, 2007 8:53 am

It wouldn't take the brains of an archbishop to do this yourself though, would it? I mean, of course, the saving the objects to Vault as text, not the writing the AddIn.
Somehow that seems mildly insulting, but I am game.

It wouldn't take much to manage the application code files without the client or integration with Visual Studio either, you don't even have to take the extra step to script them out since they are already text files. The add-in certainly makes it a lot easier though.

In fact I think it is harder, depending on the options you select when scripting the objects some users might included "if exists drop" statements or other various plumbing that is configurable when you script out these objects, then when checking them in you get a lot of noise when you do diffs simply based on the scripting options of that particular user.

jclausius

Re: Feature Idea: Client IDE / Add-In for DB Object Mgt.

Post by jclausius » Fri Dec 07, 2007 10:57 am

jfuex wrote:I am currently evaluating vault along with a number of competing SCM systems and one feature that I think would be an EXCELLENT competitive advantage in this busy marketplace would be a client IDE or add-in for popular database tools (such as SQL Server Enterprise Manager) to support managing source code for database objects.
Agreed.

For SQL Server Management Studio (SSMS) with SQL Server 2005, a Vault IDE client already exists. You should see the integration found in the Tools -> Options -> Source Control.

Also, editors from Apex SQL and Red-Gate Software also provide integration with Vault.

And finally, a Vault IDE client for database projects within Visual Studio also works with database objects.
Jeff Clausius
SourceGear

jfuex

Post by jfuex » Fri Dec 07, 2007 11:16 am

For SQL Server Management Studio (SSMS) with SQL Server 2005, a Vault IDE client already exists. You should see the integration found in the Tools -> Options -> Source Control.

Also, editors from Apex SQL and Red-Gate Software also provide integration with Vault.
Awesome! I wasn't aware of the SSMS and Redgate options and I use both tools. I was familiar with the DB project integration in VS, but at least in VS2005 it was really clunky and allowed each user to specify their own scripting settings which defeated the point somewhat.

jclausius

Post by jclausius » Fri Dec 07, 2007 11:27 am

jfuex wrote:Awesome! I wasn't aware of the SSMS and Redgate options and I use both tools. I was familiar with the DB project integration in VS, but at least in VS2005 it was really clunky and allowed each user to specify their own scripting settings which defeated the point somewhat.
I don't want to curb your enthusiasm, but when I used it, the SSMS integration was similar to the Visual Studio integration. Just give it a try and see if it can fit your needs.
Jeff Clausius
SourceGear

jfuex

Post by jfuex » Fri Dec 07, 2007 1:09 pm

I don't want to curb your enthusiasm, but when I used it, the SSMS integration was similar to the Visual Studio integration. Just give it a try and see if it can fit your needs.
I think you are right, it isn't exactly what I was looking for. The tool I have been using shows an EM like tree-view of all available DB objects and their status (Checked in/checked out/ not under source control) and you can right click on objects to check them in/out. Really handy.

jclausius

Post by jclausius » Fri Dec 07, 2007 1:11 pm

My $0.02 - the Red-Gate and Apex solutions had a nicer interface for this type of work. (Again, just my personal opinion.)
Jeff Clausius
SourceGear

StuartHemming

Post by StuartHemming » Fri Dec 07, 2007 4:37 pm

jfuex wrote:Somehow that seems mildly insulting, but I am game.
Really, that's a shame. I guess that's an example of what they mean by your lot and mine being separated by a common language. :wink:

I was going to post some other suggestions, but I see other have answered your questions.
Stuart
Using Fortress 2.04 (18845)

dvdtknsn

Post by dvdtknsn » Mon Jan 21, 2008 6:10 pm

jfuex wrote:

Awesome! I wasn't aware of the SSMS and Redgate options and I use both tools. I was familiar with the DB project integration in VS, but at least in VS2005 it was really clunky and allowed each user to specify their own scripting settings which defeated the point somewhat.
Have you had the chance to try SQL Changeset, which is an add-in to SQL Compare 6 Pro? I'd be very interested to get your feedback. This model assumes that you maintain your schema in source control as a collection of SQL creation scripts. You can synch a live database to and from these creation scripts. SQL Compare 6 Pro will check out the modified objects/files for you, and SQL Changeset will allow you commit them.

http://help.red-gate.com/help/SQLChange ... geSet.html

[Edit: SQL Changeset has now been deprecated in favour of SQL Source Control]

Kind regards,

David Atkinson
Product Manager
Red Gate Software
Last edited by dvdtknsn on Sat Dec 04, 2010 10:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

dvdtknsn

Re: Feature Idea: Client IDE / Add-In for DB Object Mgt.

Post by dvdtknsn » Tue Nov 16, 2010 3:19 pm

To update the previous post, SQL Changeset will be deprecated in favour of SQL Source Control, which integrates into SSMS. Due to popular demand, Vault support is coming shortly in an early access build. To receive notification of this build, please sign up to the EA program:

http://www.surveymk.com/s/SqlSourceControl_EapSignup

Kind regards,

David Atkinson
Product Manager
Red Gate Software