Default mergeable file types

If you are having a problem using Fortress, post a message here.

Moderator: SourceGear

dist0rti0n

Default mergeable file types

Post by dist0rti0n » Fri Dec 14, 2007 3:59 pm

I noticed that .csproj and .vbproj are not included in the default mergable file types. Is there a reason for this? Should it be avoided?

Thanks
<a href="http://www.vertagen.com">Vertagen Solutions</a>

Beth

Post by Beth » Fri Dec 14, 2007 5:29 pm

Yes, they should be avoided for merging. I know somewhere on Microsoft's site they recommend this too. They have a chance of not working well after being merged with a merge tool.

dist0rti0n

Post by dist0rti0n » Sat Dec 15, 2007 8:06 am

So say you merge one project with another and new files are added, how does the change get picked up by the project? Do you have to then open the project, turn on "show all files" and start adding them manually?
<a href="http://www.vertagen.com">Vertagen Solutions</a>

gmagana

Post by gmagana » Sat Dec 15, 2007 8:44 am

I never understood why project files should not be merged... What I do now is merge via the Fortress/Vault client and reload the project... I never had a problem with doing that.

It does seem pretty limiting to not be able to merge project files. There are countless scenarios where merging project files is needed.
gabriel magana-gonzalez

Beth

Post by Beth » Mon Dec 17, 2007 4:31 pm

I do know some users do merge project files.

Here's what Microsoft says, though on this part it refers to solutions: http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms998227.aspx.
Checking Out Solution Files

Solution files are particularly difficult to check out simultaneously because they contain a project count which can make the merge process difficult and prone to error. You should generally avoid checking out solution files if another developer already has the file checked out.

Instead, aim to check out a solution file (for example, to add new projects) for short periods at a time to reduce contention on the file. Coordinate with other developers if contention arises and wait for the solution file to become exclusively available before checking it out.
We don't prevent it. A user can add .proj and .sln files to the mergeable files types. It's just not recommended.
So say you merge one project with another and new files are added, how does the change get picked up by the project? Do you have to then open the project, turn on "show all files" and start adding them manually?
I was talking about merging individual project files such as .csproj. You can easily add a project to a solution in the manner you have stated. That is just adding a new or existing project and is different than the merging I'm talking about.