When 64bit server? for v4.x

This forum is now locked, since Gold Support is no longer offered.

Moderator: SourceGear

bluebsh

When 64bit server? for v4.x

Post by bluebsh » Mon Jan 07, 2008 7:36 am

Ok this has become a major problem for me now... our development server has to be windows server x64... because it has 9GB of memory that it has to access completley without PAE... now we also have vault 4.0 server... which we had to put the 64bit server into 32bit iis emulation mode for... now here comes the real big problem... we also need share point 3.0 which when installed on a 64-bit server requires 64-bit IIS... it won't let you install the 32bit version on a 64bit server in 32bit iis emulation mode..... so.. the question... since vault is the one causing this problem... when will we have a native 64-bit vault server? Isn't the server end writen in .NET?

Beth

Post by Beth » Mon Jan 07, 2008 4:08 pm

I can't really speculate on the state of the request for 64-bit support.

There might be other ways around this dilemma you have. Is your SQL server on the 64-bit server? If so, that can stay where it is and you can place just the Vault server portion on another machine that would point back to the 64-bit machine that holds the SQL database portion. Just when you install, you'd give it the name of the SQL server to look to.

With the 9GB of memory, are you talking just in RAM? How large is your database?

gsmalter

This is still a major problem

Post by gsmalter » Tue Jan 08, 2008 8:44 am

His point is that any RAM over 4GB is completely useless on a 32-bit server. This is why nobody puts up new 32-bit servers anymore, and why it's ridiculous that Vault remains the single reason why many of us can't go full 64-bit.

I first posted about this in 2005, and was led to believe that you guys cared about supporting x64. Do a search for 64-bit just to see how many people care about being able to run Vault with IIS in 64-bit mode.

jclausius

Post by jclausius » Tue Jan 08, 2008 9:44 am

There are Q/A as well as installation issues which need to be ironed out. We have started this process, but it is not yet complete.

There will be a release for a native 64-bit Vault sometime after the release of 4.1.
Jeff Clausius
SourceGear

jclausius

Re: When 64bit server? for v4.x

Post by jclausius » Tue Jan 08, 2008 10:01 am

bluebsh wrote:we also need share point 3.0 which when installed on a 64-bit server requires 64-bit IIS... it won't let you install the 32bit version on a 64bit server in 32bit iis emulation mode
Note, in previous versions of Vault, SharePoint caused compatibility issues by changing the ASP.NET Process Model. The simple work around was to install SharePoint on a different WebSite than the Vault Server.

I don't know if this is still the case, but it was something I wanted to bring to your attention.
Jeff Clausius
SourceGear