Database corrupted after disk full - no backups!

This forum is now locked, since Gold Support is no longer offered.

Moderator: SourceGear

rab

Database corrupted after disk full - no backups!

Post by rab » Thu Jan 10, 2008 8:02 pm

After some Vault operations failed this morning I have discovered that the disk was full on the server - and has been for a month.

I fixed that and got the SQL instance happy again and now I can look at the history of some parts of the repository, but not from the root (the history operation doesn't complete).

Because the disk was full I have no recent backups. Is there some way I can check or repair the vault database?

Regards,
Rob Barnes

rab

Update

Post by rab » Fri Jan 11, 2008 12:11 am

The current situation is that after a further couple of hours the history has come good - I can now query history from the root of the repository.

After what happenned I am quite concerned about the state of the repository. Is there some way I can run a check to verify that all is well?

Regards,
Rob Barnes

Beth

Post by Beth » Fri Jan 11, 2008 10:28 am

You will want to follow the Vault Maintenance guidelines. The DBCC CheckDB will really help here. Also, I'd still recommend running through the other items listed there when you can.

Also, check the sizes of your .mdf and .ldf. Your .ldf should be a fraction of your .mdf. If it's large, let me know and I'll provide instructions for bringing that down.

Before doing anything, the first thing you want to do is make a backup. Also, make a backup after everything is checked and cleaned up.

rab

Database corrupt?

Post by rab » Fri Jan 11, 2008 1:58 pm

Beth,

In fact I have already done all of the mainenance steps. After I fixed up the disk space issue I did a backup and did all of the maintenance steps.

Is there any way I can verify that our vault repository is OK? Or is it the case that if the database is OK Vault is OK?

Regards,
Rob Barnes

Beth

Post by Beth » Fri Jan 11, 2008 5:04 pm

If a checkdb returns no errors, then taking a brief glance at your files and their history should be good for the immediate action. Just make sure you have your backups. If you have something wrong, you should see it fairly quickly with regular use.