Excluding a project from source control

If you are having a problem using Vault, post a message here.

Moderator: SourceGear

jimmurray

Excluding a project from source control

Post by jimmurray » Wed Jan 23, 2008 12:07 pm

Hi,

I've got a VS 2005 solution with about 12 projects in it, one of them being a setup and deployment project . I'm evaluating Vault at the moment (and having no end of problems). Can I stop the deployment project being aded when I try and add the solution to Vault? When I try and do it at the moment I'm getting an error.

Jim

jclausius

Post by jclausius » Wed Jan 23, 2008 1:33 pm

If you have a solution and sub-projects bound and you do not want to have the client keep trying to "ADD" a sub project, you could unbind everything, and then only bind the projects you want under Source Control. The Solution and any projects NOT using Vault need to be left unbound.

You say you are having problems with the IDE client, what type of problems? Binding issues? Usage issues?
Jeff Clausius
SourceGear

jimmurray

Post by jimmurray » Wed Jan 23, 2008 4:17 pm

There is nothing bound at present. I've installed vault, configured VS to use the client and am simply trying to add a solution from within VS and am getting an error message as it doesn't seem to like the merge file in the deployment project that is part of the solution. Fair enough, but I can't see anyway of checking the solution in via the ide but without this project.

I'm hoping the problems we are having are due to my inexperience of using source control products. Have used sourcesafe in the past but dumped it as it was causing more issues than it was solving.

jim

jclausius

Post by jclausius » Wed Jan 23, 2008 4:52 pm

Here is something you can try:

1) Add the solution and projects to Vault via the GUI client.

2) Open up Visual Studio 2005. From the File Menu, choose SourceGear Fortress, and the "Change Bindings" dialog.

3) On this dialog, choose the projects you want to be under version control, and then "bind" each of those individually. This will prompt for a repository location where the project file can be found. Choose the correct folder, and then choose OK.

Note, I don't know if this example will work where the Visual Studio project type has no corresponding project file. In a case like this, the Solution will most likely have to be bound.
Jeff Clausius
SourceGear