'Open From Vault' sporadically disapearing from Vs.NET Menu

This forum is now locked, since Gold Support is no longer offered.

Moderator: SourceGear

GuyH

'Open From Vault' sporadically disapearing from Vs.NET Menu

Post by GuyH » Wed Feb 06, 2008 3:37 am

One project that i work on uses the new VSIP Client.

Sometimes when i go to 'Open From Vault' from the vs2005 file menu the command is missing.

This usually occurs after i have been working on a project that uses the MSCCPI client, even after rebooting.

To make it re-appear i have to open the VSIP bound project from the file-> recent projects menu - this opens the solution in a completely unbound state. very confusing.

then if i close the solution and close vs.net, re-open and the 'open from vault' is there.

Also sometimes, after selecting 'open from vault', i get an odd looking messagebox saying 'GDI+ Error' and then vs2005 hangs. (looks like a very basic Win32 messagebox)

ian_sg

Post by ian_sg » Wed Feb 06, 2008 8:34 am

Which version of Vault are you using?

Visual Studio will automatically switch the active source control provider when you open a solution bound with that provider. So when you open a project bound with the MSSCCI provider, it's switching to that, which makes the "Open From Vault" menu item disappear. The appropriate way to get it back, in this case, would be to change your active provider back to the 2005/VSIP provider in Visual Studio's source control options.

But here's another common misconception you may have: you only have to "Open From Vault" once. Once the solution is on your disk, you can open it from disk as though it weren't bound to source control. That will also save you this headache.
Ian Olsen
SourceGear

GuyH

Post by GuyH » Wed Feb 06, 2008 8:37 am

ian_sg wrote: But here's another common misconception you may have: you only have to "Open From Vault" once. Once the solution is on your disk, you can open it from disk as though it weren't bound to source control. That will also save you this headache.
this is the problem though ian - when i open the solution file directly, either from disk, or recent files menu - it opens as if i am disconnected. there are no status icons next to the files in solution explorer.

i am using vault 4.0.6

ian_sg

Post by ian_sg » Wed Feb 06, 2008 8:39 am

It sounds like somehow you got offline. Right-click on the solution and pick "Go Online".
Ian Olsen
SourceGear

GuyH

Post by GuyH » Wed Feb 06, 2008 8:45 am

i think i sussed out what the problem is.

when i opened the solution just now, there were no vault status icons and the 'open from vault' and 'change vault bindings' options were available.

so i chose 'change vault bindings' and checked the box to say i was online.

now when i open the solution from the file it opens with vault status icons, as you say it should.

I work offline quite a lot - what are your best practice recommendations for when i want to work online again?

do i need to 'change vault bindings'? or will the 'go online' option be visible?

ian_sg

Post by ian_sg » Wed Feb 06, 2008 8:49 am

"Go Online" on the context menu is equivalent to checking the box in the Change Bindings dialog. Either way will work.

Glad we got that figured out. :)
Ian Olsen
SourceGear

GuyH

Post by GuyH » Wed Feb 06, 2008 9:24 am

Ah great.

thanks for getting that resolved quickly :)