Strange problem checking a file in

If you are having a problem using Vault, post a message here.

Moderator: SourceGear

Colen

Strange problem checking a file in

Post by Colen » Wed Feb 06, 2008 4:43 am

Hi there,

We have Vault 3.5 set up. There are two regular users, me and Rob.

Rob recently checked in some changes to an existing file. Vault gave him this error message:

Code: Select all

[2/5/2008 3:54:00 AM] Preparing data to begin transaction
[2/5/2008 3:54:00 AM] Beginning transaction
[2/5/2008 3:54:00 AM]     Check in $/HeroLab/data/wod/wod_helper.dat
[2/5/2008 3:54:00 AM]     Upload for item $/HeroLab/data/wod/wod_helper.dat failed, retrying...
[2/5/2008 3:54:00 AM]     Upload for item $/HeroLab/data/wod/wod_helper.dat failed, retrying...
[2/5/2008 3:54:00 AM] Ending the transaction
[2/5/2008 3:54:00 AM] Upload for item $/HeroLab/data/wod/wod_helper.dat failed too many times, aborting transaction. 
        Please verify your network settings using the Options dialog under the Tools menu in the Vault GUI Client. 
        The specific error was "The server returned an unknown error header: VaultFileUpload.aspx encountered:  FailDeltaApply"
An exception was encountered during the transaction.  Exception: The server returned an unknown error header: VaultFileUpload.aspx encountered:  FailDeltaApply   at VaultClientOperationsLib.ClientInstance.UploadItem(ChangeSetItem item, String txID, Byte[]& streamBuffer, Int32& bytesWrittenThisFile, Boolean bIsImport)
   at VaultClientOperationsLib.UploadThread.ProcessCommand(UploadThreadCommand command, UploadThreadCommandResult& outputResult)
[2/5/2008 3:54:00 AM] Transaction failed
[2/5/2008 3:54:00 AM] Transaction failed
The following behaviours could then be observed:

* Whenever Rob tried to check in the file, he got the above error message.
* When he did a diff of the file with the current contents of Vault, it showed that there were 20 lines or so of difference - the changes that he had made.

Rob then sent the file to me and asked me to check it in.
* When I did a diff of the file with the current contents of Vault, it showed no differences.
* When I tried to check it in, the checkin completed, but without making any changes or incrementing the version number (since the files were the same).

I then made a change to the file and checked that in. At that point, Rob could see the fully-updated file, and everything is now apparently normal.

Incidents like this with our source control worry me. :( Is it possible there's some sort of corruption in our database? If so, is there any way to check or diagnose it? Or is this simply some sort of caching issue?

Thanks for your help.

Beth

Post by Beth » Wed Feb 06, 2008 10:45 am

I would definitely point to caching. Without being there to see how everything is worked with it would be hard for me to pinpoint how something could have gotten messed up in his cache. Clearing the client-side cache so that Vault recreates it would clear that up. Information on the cache can be found here: Client Side Cache. The item you most likely would want to keep is the cachemember_workingfolderassignments so that you won't have to reset your working folders.

Colen

Post by Colen » Wed Feb 06, 2008 10:56 am

Thanks for the link on the Cache stuff. Is there any way we can make sure it isn't database corruption of some sort? Like maybe a tool that checks the integrity or whatever.

Beth

Post by Beth » Wed Feb 06, 2008 11:06 am

You can go through the steps we have in our Database Maintenance article. The first thing I'd try is run a DBCC CHECKDB ('sgvault').

Rarely do cache issues hurt the database though, but it is never a bad thing to run regular maintenance and checks.